Need HIGH Rings that are light weight

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
DrGunner
B Poster
B Poster

Need HIGH Rings that are light weight

Post by DrGunner »

Hey gang-
My new silhouette rifle is coming together. Finally getting my 1712 w/VIII EFR. The rifle is coming with Weaver bases preinstalled, which I like.

What Weaver style rings are available that are tall but light weight?

My current setup is a CZ 452 Varmint in a Merier stock, and for optics I start the season with a Sightron SIIBS6-24x42SIL until my hold improves, then move to a Leupold FXIII 30X w 1/2” dot.
Because I swap scopes around frequently, my scopes are mounted on Warne Maxima QD Ultra High rings (their “AR” rings). The problem is the Warnes are HEAVY- they literally add 1/2 pound to the setup. They’re .935” from top of rail to bottom of scope tube, and bring the scope to the perfect height with my head near vertical. I’m pretty sure I’ll need lighter rings for the new 1712/EFR rifle.

Any suggestions???

Edit- I just remembered, my 452 has a DIP base, which adds some height, perhaps .25’, so altogether my current setup is 1.1-1.2” between the top of the rail and bottom of the scope tube. I often find myself wishing I could get it even higher.

What is the NRA rule regarding maximum scope height for Hunter class?

I’m really hoping someone has suggestions for a light weight solution that will allow me to mount my EFR on my 1712 at least 1.25” or more above the receiver. I’ve only been doing this a few years, so I’m still learning. Please- educate me, if what I’m trying to accomplish here is folly, say so. I went through 4 or 5 sets of rings before I found the Warne Ultra High rings, and it just feels like the higher I go, the more stable my hold gets and my stamina improves. At one point, I mounted my Sightron Silhouette scope on some cheap aperture rings that allowed cowitness of iron sights through an opening between the rail clamp and scope clamp. It looked goofy, but those things were TALL! I must have had my scope almost 1.5’ above the receiver. Ironically, I shot some of the best scores in my practice sessions that week!

DrGunner
Any advice is appreciated-

DrGunner
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Need HIGH Rings that are light weight

Post by acorneau »

DrGunner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm...
Any suggestions???

What is the NRA rule regarding maximum scope height for Hunter class?
The rule for hunter is 1.5" between the top of the receiver and the bottom of the scope tube.

The two most popular rings to achieve this are the Morr Accuracy "Edge Silhouette" rings and the BKL 257/181 ring/riser combo. Both put the scope at 1.45" above the receiver with very little weight, but are designed to go straight to the 11mm dovetail and not on any extra bases.

http://www.morraccuracy.com/store/p16/T ... uette.html

https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-6-Long-Dove ... kl-257.htm
https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-0-6-Long-Do ... kl-181.htm

I use BKL rings for my Anschutz 1710 (the 257 High rings only) and for both my Target and Sporter air rifles and many people I shoot with use them as well.

If you stick with a Weaver-style ring and base then you'll have to do your own math to sort out what the height of the scope tube will be.

:-B
Allen Corneau
DrGunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DrGunner »

acorneau- Thank you SO much, you’ve given me two viable, affordable & light weight options.

I really like the look of the Morr Edge Silhouette rings. Too bad they’re not offered with black anodized finish, but that’s what Cerakote is for.

I sincerely appreciate the help.

DrGunner
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

DrGunner (and anyone else who might be interested),
I've talked with a fellow Silhouette Shooter, who also makes rings for our sport - in various heights!
They are another option to add into our "tool box"!

Below is a link to his rings on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings-fo ... bv4osjSJgg

ShootingStar - aka Greg Chandler
DrGunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DrGunner »

ShootingStar- Pete caught up with me on RFC and I did order a set. I already ordered a set of the Edge Silhouette rings from Morr Accuracy, which I plan to have anodized and use to mount my EFR on my 1712. I like the elegant lines of the Edge Silo rings, but I also have a Sightron SIIBS6-24x42SIL and Leupold FX3 30X to mount on lighter/taller rings. I often swap between my Sightron and Leupold; I start the season with the variable and switch to the 30 as my hold improves. I probably wouldn’t need to if I practiced more year round, but we get snow 5 months minimum where I live and I can only stand so much dry fire practice. This is a hobby for me; I have far too many irons in far to many fires to ever make shooting competitions the leading priority in my life... maybe when I retire.

Thanks for the heads up!

DrGunner
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

Hi All ,
As previously posted in another section ...
Morr ,BKL , Harris , Kelbly , and now D3
All offer suitable friction - rings that either go directly onto
The receiver or onto bases !
Enjoy !

GSL