Morr Edge vs D3 Precision Rings

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Morr Edge vs D3 Precision Rings

Post by jbolt »

Just posting for information sake.

Morr Edge Silhouette:

$85 shipped. Mine took two weeks to get with no confirmation on shipping. Each ring with screws weights 25.4 grams (0.9 oz). They came unfinished with minimal to no deburring so tool marks are visible and the use of a fine jewelers file was necessary before mounting. The bases needed to be spread to fit on the 1712 scope rail. This took a bit of effort to do. Once on the rail they are very solid. I didn't measure but the base screw appears to be a #8 and the ring screws are #6 so two different hex keys are required to install.

D3 Precision 1.5" tall x 11mm base:

$50 + $7.90 shipping. Ordered on a Friday and had them by Monday. Each ring with screws weighs 34.05 grams (1.2 oz). They came deburred with minimal tool marks, anodized black and ready to install. The base uses a clamping bar with two screws. The clamping bar is blued steel. Installed they are also very solid. The base screws are 4mm and the ring screws are 3mm so these also require more than one hex key.

Both rings fit true on the scope body with no need for lapping.

The shape of the Morr rings is aesthetically more pleasing but for the cost I would expect them to be deburred and anodized in either clear or black.
20190429_193154.png
20190429_193203.png
20190429_193232.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Morr Edge vs D3 Precision Rings

Post by jbolt »

Additional Photos
20190429_193330.png
20190429_195945.png
20190429_201800.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canon82
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Canon82 »

Where did you buy the D3 rings ?
Thanks Scott
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I am Pete Deal. I own D3 Precision and I make the D3 Precision rings. I am a long time lurker here but never posted before.

I wanted to add just a few things. I try to ship very quickly and the rings go by USPS priority mail. Jbolt I was really surprised how fast the USPS did their thing all the way to California on yours. I am working to keep everything in stock but that might not be possible 100% of the time but I will try.

Jbolt I did not explain the extra clamp screws in your insert paper, explanation has since been added, but I am shipping my rings with two sets of clamp screws. Included are clamp screws with a standard head (3mm allen wrench) and with low profile heads (2.5mm allen wrench). I think the low profile screws look better but I know some people really torque the heck out of stuff and in this case the standard screws with the 3mm wrench is the one to use. Both 2.5mm and 3mm wrenches are included. If you use the low profile screws then these take the same size allen wrench as the cap screws.

Shortly I will have 3/8" dovetail rings rings and some other things available. I am also starting to tweak the design for 30mm scopes.
Clamp Screws.JPG
Pagunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Pagunner »

Pete,

Do you make scope bases for savage 10 to accommodate these rings?

Dakota
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

No just rimfire dovetails now.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

pdeal wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:47 pmI am Pete Deal. I own D3 Precision and I make the D3 Precision rings.
Pete,

Thank you for making these! I really appreciate folks that make silhouette-specific products and I will be ordering a few sets and spreading the word to other shooters that will order as well.

Dustin
DrGunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DrGunner »

I ordered Edge Silhouette rings 2 weeks ago, before I found out about D3 rings this week on RFC. I ordered a set right away, so now I have both. I spent $85 on the Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette rings and was kind of disappointed to see tooling marks on them when they arrived. I suppose that does not matter, as I plan to have them anodized but it is kind of disappointing that I could not order them in black to begin with. A side-by-side comparison has already been done here, I am mounting a scope on my 1712 tonight using the D3 rings. They definitely appear to be stouter, and are very well-made with an excellent finish, perfect fit on the scope tube with no lapping necessary. In the future I will probably go with the D3 rings, while I prefer the aesthetics of those by Morr Accuracy, $85 plus a two week wait plus the hassle and expense of having them anodized or Cerakoted when there is a $50 alternative that’s prefinished and arrives in 3 days makes the choice easy.
I’ll likely mount my EFR with the Morr Accuracy offering, and mount my Sightron on my backup rifle as well as my FX3 30X on the D3 rings.

Edit- jbolt- thanks for posting this. I was going to do something similar and you saved me the trouble!

DrGunner
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I now have 3/8" dovetail rings available in 0.7" and 1.5" heights in addition to the 11mm rings if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings-fo ... mZNe3f9RQw
CZ452 AM Sightron 6x42 800w.JPG
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

OK experts, please chime in. I like these new rings but have a question on height.

The max height per the rules is 1.5" I see Morr rings are 1.45". With the Morr rings I should be OK at nationals or other matches enforcing the rules. But... with the D3 rings @ 1.5" would I be safe? Would hate to make the trip then have my ring height too high.

I haven't measured but my 54:18 Anschutz has a slight crown on the top of the receiver so maybe I'm OK but maybe other receivers might pose a problem?
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Just FYI the image below shows how height is measured on the D3 Rings.
RING HEIGHT DIAGRAM 200wide.JPG
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

If the depiction is correct then that should be no problem being under the 1.5" rule...

Rule 3.1.1 (b) states:
... Scopes may not be more than 1.5 inches above the rifle, as measured from the top of the receiver to the underside of the scope tube...
The top of the receiver will be higher than the bottom of the dovetail clamp thus giving you your safety margin.
Allen Corneau
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

Does D3 make other rings heights besides the ones shown in the picture
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Tony wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 am Does D3 make other rings heights besides the ones shown in the picture
Yes, follow the eBay link up-thread for his offerings.
Allen Corneau