Weaver V16 4-16x42 AO Matte w/ F/C Dot Reticle

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Weaver V16 4-16x42 AO Matte w/ F/C Dot Reticle

Post by dave imas »

anyone have experience with the Weaver V series scopes?
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

I've been using a V-16 -- it's the only one that I have -- for 10 years.

It's not sexy but it's been reliable. It started out on a Target airgun, spent time on one of our rimfire Hunters, went back to the airguns on a spring sporter, spent some time on the Dominator and now lives on the Finnfire Hunter we keep as backup.

The one we have (I don't know if they've changed anything) has 1/4 moa adjustments. I'd rate it optically 'close' to our older Leupolds and somewhat farther behind the 6-24X Bushnell 4200 or a couple of new Leupolds that we've picked up in the last couple of years. (I'd put something like a Tuckerized Leupold on a Pearson/Pharr custom but I'd happily suggest the Weaver V-16 to anyone on a budget.)

It has always tracked well and it will focus 'short' for indoor practice at 10m.

Eye relief would be a little short for me on a highpower...but I feel the same way about the Bushnell stuff. (FWIW, IMO Leupold must hire the only optics engineers who understand that rifles recoil!) lol

I don't remember the total W&E travel off the top of my bald head but I can spin it and count it you want to know. It's certainly more than the Bushnell 6-24X.

I 'may' just have gotten a good one but, based on this one example, I'd use one without worrying about it.

I've looked at a couple of V-24s that guys here have had and they seem to lose a step when you get into the 20-24X range; but the 4-16X is good bottom to top.

If you want to check it out, let me know and I'll pull it off the Sako and mail it out to you.

What other info are you looking for?
E Kuney
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Thanks Ernie. Execellent information. I'm hoping the dot is 1/4moa? This is going on Ursula's rifle. Time to upgrade her scope without breaking the bank. Will eventually live on match air rifle for 10m practice. For now I want her to start shooting with a dot and a bit more magnification. Sounds like this scope might be the exact ticket.
dave
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Apologies... (You DID ask bout the dot didn't you?!)
I have the version with the duplex and was talking about the general characteristics of the scope.

I'll call another guy here who uses one -- WITH A DOT (lol) -- on an airgun and ask him about the dot size. I just shot with him yesterday so he's in town. Whether I can get in touch with him today I don't know. Give me a day or so.
E Kuney
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Sorry, Dave,

I called the guy and he says that his was a 1/8 moa dot and too small.
That was his only complaint. Otherwise, he agrees that the V-16 is an excellent scope for the money.

Whether the "1/4" moa dot is really that, I can't say...
E Kuney
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Thanks for your help Ernie. I've ordered the scope and should see it this Wednesday.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I have a V16 with the dot and its pretty hard to see. It was on my air pistol and I swapped for a KT 15 with duplex reticle. I plan to send the V16 to TK Lee and have a large dot installed.

The scope works great and you'll never regret having bought it.
- Joe
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

got the scope and love it. dot is plenty big, clarity is very nice. only challenge is the shorter eye relief. seems to be a good value.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Dave: What are the windage and elevation knobs like on this scope? We use the Weaver T24 with the taller knobs that go from 0 to 17 and the Adjustable Objective that has the Smallbore Silhouette distances marked in meters. We also like the 1/4 moa clicks and MICRO-TRAC. You stated the dot seemed to be a good size but does your newer V16 have these features and does the tracking seem repeatable ?(I saw nomad's post but his is older)
Thanks,
Bobby R. Huddleston
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

I have had one of these on my 452 American. the DOT is a little small for me but seems just fine for my boys and wifes perfect eyesight. Great value in my opinion. I will be ditching the Banner scopes for 2 more of these on my boys rifles.