Weight of the Elite 4200 6-24x40?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Weight of the Elite 4200 6-24x40?

Post by Jason »

Anyone got a personally verified weight on the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 scopes? I saw the weight of 20.2 ounces quoted on the Bushnell website, but I don't really trust that to be accurate. My scope won't be here until Tuesday and I'd like to get a head start on weight limits and ring height for mounting it. Thanks!
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

...LOL

Post by GeoNLR »

Jason,

Why would they come up with a # like 20.2 ozs? Ha-ha. I would bet it gonna be REAL close. I have the 8-32 and their published weight was close to all 4 I measured...

If anything I would bet it comes in a little more than 20.2...

Chicken
Image Chicken George
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: ...LOL

Post by Jason »

GeoNLR wrote:Jason,

Why would they come up with a # like 20.2 ozs? Ha-ha. I would bet it gonna be REAL close. I have the 8-32 and their published weight was close to all 4 I measured...

Chicken
That number could have been carried forward from when they stuck the Bausch & Lomb name on them and the parts were made from different materials. I've been bitten by this before trying to make sporter class weight limit in benchrest. I trust someone who's weighed a current model more than I trust a number on a page from who knows when. That "little more than 20.2..." you mention is exactly what I'm worried about.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Weights and such...

Post by Jetmugg »

Jason:
How does the current weight of the "frankenstock" compare to the factory varmint stock?

I'll be taking my CZ Silhouette-stocked varmint out for the first time on Sunday. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Steve.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I finished the stock today and posted weights, etc. on the "It's Alive!" thread in the smallbore forum. I don't know the exact weight of the varmint stock from the factory, but it added a couple ounces at most. If you look at the pictures of the Frankenstock from the top and bottom and compared them to your Varmint stock foreend, you'll see that a fair amount of wood got removed. A channel was also routed out of the foreend and some wood was removed from the buttstock, too. Without all that wood removal, it would have added several more ounces with just building up the cheekpiece and grip/palm swell.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Scope came today. It weighs 20.4 ounces on two different scales. Close to the spec'ed weight, but not quite. :)
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: ...LOL

Post by GeoNLR »

GeoNLR wrote:Jason,

Chicken
Damn, if there is ANYTHING I do know, it's that I HATE being right...LOL

I called the ball

'REAL Close'

and

' I would bet it comes in a little more than 20.2...'

Man, I hate that kinda thing... LOL. :wink:
Image Chicken George
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Seriously though.... What type of mounts are you going to use? Did the set up you pictured make weight? Last set of single strap *cough* BKL's*cough* I had weighed 2.1 ozs... (Schhh I coughed b/c I didn't want Marv to hear me Blastpheming <SP?>).
Image Chicken George
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Bad news... don't have enough adjustment room with the rings I have to let me get up enough for rams. The only rings I have with adjustment capabilities are the Burris Signatures that are pretty close to the right height, if not just barely too short. They weigh 5.1 ounces, though, which puts me an ounce over the limit. Ugh...

Now I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to wait and call Marvin tomorrow in hopes that he might have some lying around I could buy at Pe Ell, or just get out the Dremel and start hollowing out more in the buttstock and foreend. Decisions, decisions... :?
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

easy answer. shim your scope. not a great answer but you will get back to where you need to be.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Didn't think of that. I might try it, but I'm only about 3 minutes shy of max elevation when I sight in on chickens. That puts me needing at least 10 minutes or so to be able to get to rams. I don't think I've tried shimming that much before. Thanks for the idea.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Just talked to Mordecai on the phone and he had a good idea, skeletonize the Burris Signature rings. Gonna head out o my father-in-law's shop in a couple hours and try that. Surely I can lose half an ounce off each ring if the things weight 5.1 ounces total, with 3.3ounces of that weight being just the bottom half of the rings not counting any inserts, bolts or nuts. :)

Thanks, Mike!
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

That is one of the drawbacks of the bushie scope. Mind you, I don't think twice about shimming if needed. Of course Marv building the shim into his equipment id real nice...just set the scope in, set the eye relief and you're done (or that's what mine did).

One other thing to think of... On the Bushnell there is only like 26 MOA or so of adjustment. If you subtract the 8-9 MOA we need for silhouettes that leave you with about 16 MOA or 8 on the top and bottom... World of difference if you are trying to 'center' from what I was used to comming from the Lupies with ~ 50 MOA. Heck finding 9 MOA near the center with buffer on both sides was no sweat.

But unless I'm wrong, you need to be looking at shimming about 18MOA to get near the middle. IF you leave your setting near the top or bottom it can spell trouble.

Easy way to confirm this is to 'center' the scope (i.e. if the scope has 26 moa of verticle adjustment, place it on 13) and then mount it on the rifle. Shoot it at the turkeys, the MOA you have to adjust up or down is going to be close to how far 'off' of center your shim is...

YMMV

Chicken
Image Chicken George
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yep, got it taken care of. The 20moa inserts in the Burris rings were just about perfect, now I just have to skeletonize them to get them down light enough. The rings from Marv would be a better solution, but I need to find something that will work right now. I might even just wait and get the rings from Marv when I get the new gun from Mark, as the Elite will be moving to that gun and I'll probably be putting the Sightron back on this one.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

I thought you were just going to REALLY take care of the father in law and set him up with Marv's stuff.....LOL. I personally don't have that much love in me...HAHA
Image Chicken George