EFR question

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
olympian
B Poster
B Poster

EFR question

Post by olympian »

Shooters,

I used to have a Leupold 6.5-20x EFR, but sold it like an idiot. My standard model is quite fuzzy of indoor dry-firing practice. Anyway, what is the minimum distance for which one can focus an EFR model?

Thanks
Last edited by olympian on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: EFR question

Post by BlauBear »

Twenty yards is the closest I'd count on although it can probably comfortably go to 15 yards.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

olympian wrote:Shooters,

I used to have a Leupold 6.5-20x EFR, but sold it like an idiot. My standard model is quite fuzzy of indoor dry-firing practice. Anyway, what is the minimum distance for which one can focus an EFR model?

Thanks
We use them indoors all the time down to 50' with no problems, nice crisp and clear. I can get mine looking good at 33' for my indoor air rifle practice quite well also.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Couldn't you screw one of the 50-foot adapters (that adapts the non-EFR models for close shooting) and get an EFR to focus really close?
olympian
B Poster
B Poster

Post by olympian »

I am really distance limited right now, which is why I originally asked about the EFR. For the whee distance (8yds or so) I have, the 50' adapter worked on my 4-12x on 4x, but not at all on the 6.5-20x I wanted to use.

I wonder what the 50' adapter would do on a 6.5-20x EFR?
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

The EFR is the go-to scope for indoor 50 foot NRA light rifle shooting. If I remember correctly, the Leupold 50-foot adapter only works on pre-2004 models. I have an EFR (actually 3 of them) that I bought last year right before the price increase and the adapter does not fit them. One of the shooters who does much better than me in NRA light rifle uses an old Leupold with a 50 foot adapter.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Leupold makes 50-foot adapters for both pre- and post-2004 scopes. Here's the link to it on the Leupold website.

Alumina 50-Foot Focus Adapter
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting ... s-adapter/

I have a post-2004 adapter that I have to tape onto my Weaver T24 for indoor dryfire practice. Anyone know a place that I can get an actual adapter made? It sure would be a lot easier than dealing with electrical tape every time I want to add/remove it. :)
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bob McAlice was making adapters so you could use the old style Leupold shades on the newer scopes, it will also work with the 50' adapter.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

I have the McAlice adapters, pm or email me if you want one.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

olympian wrote:Shooters,

Thanks
The EFR's go down to 10 yards and below. The A/O is actually marked down to '10' but will turn a bit more... I have shot them indoor at 10 meters and have never had a prob.

Thanks,

Chicken
Image Chicken George
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Both of my EFR's focus to 33'. I sent one to Leupold to get it to focus to 30' for air pistol silhouette. After Leupold adjusted it, I had problems with the focus ring gasket and had to send it back 2 more times to get it properly repaired and useable. So much for the storied Leupold service. They stood behind the scope, but it cost me nearly $75 in repeated shipping and insurance because they couldn't do it right the first time.

I've since put the EFRs on rifles and use Weaver V16 and KT15 for air pistol use. I have 3 and they all reliably focus to 30' (10yds) and just slightly under.

One EFR is on a 260 Rem with 8 twist bbl and the focus does shift after repeated shots. I'm guessing that either the bullet torque or recoil is causing the focus ring to turn slightly.

YMMV
- Joe
10ring1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 10ring1 »

Another question please. I have a Premier Boosted 20-40 Vari X III. It is not the EFR model. It seems to only focus to about 55 meters. I would like to use it to test ammo at 50 yds but it is a bit blurry. If I use a 50' adapter and adjust the AO, would I be able to focus at 50 yds and less? THanks in advance Dave
Live and die by the Browning