Leupold AO & EFR

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
bugabob
B Poster
B Poster

Leupold AO & EFR

Post by bugabob »

Leupold can build me a 6.5x20 scope with target turrets with EFR and AO. Does the AO really help that much if I'm shooting SB silhouettes?

Bob
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Leupold AO & EFR

Post by Innocent »

Yes.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Mandatory.

With a regular, non-AO, rimfire scope pigs might look sharp, turkeys a little smudged, while rams and chickens would be blurry. ANd hey, those little buggers move around enough anyway.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yes, it's mandatory and it shouldn't be something you have to pay to have custom built for you. The VX3 6.5-20x40 EFR Target is a standard model. Make sure to get the one with the target dot reticle.

http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting ... fr-target/
bugabob
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bugabob »

Boy, I have been confused! Sent my old Vari XIII to Leupold for a reticle change out (to a 1/2 min dot). They called and said my scope was broken, not repairable but replaceable under warranty. It was fine when I sent it. I asked for whatever new model that was exactly like my old one. Was told they don't make one but could custom build one. I asked for black gloss finish and the 1/2 min dot and was told it would take a month.

Three wks later, I called for status and was told the anodizing process is the main contributor for the 12 week delivery time! On top of that they don't do 1/2 min dots. They asked who I originally spoke to - I didn't remember (as if it mattered). They said a matte finish would drop the delivery time to a month and they could do a 3/8 min dot.

Got your responses about AO and that the VX-3 is what I want so I called 'em back. Sure, no problem. They still wouldn't do a bigger dot so I told 'em to ship it.

Great warranty but wish they had their stories straight!

Bob
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Leupold had similar problems getting everyone together on an FXIII I wanted modified to use in air rifle. One person said sure and another said "Who told you that? Oh, him - he's new." Okay. Eventually ended up with the VXIII EFR, where I should have been to begin with.
- C.S. Lewis
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

bugabob wrote:..................Three wks later, I called for status and was told the anodizing process is the main contributor for the 12 week delivery time! On top of that they don't do 1/2 min dots. They asked who I originally spoke to - I didn't remember (as if it mattered). They said a matte finish would drop the delivery time to a month and they could do a 3/8 min dot..............Bob
I've had the same problems with them on my last scope through the custom shop.... and am still waiting for the anodozed front shade as they put the wrong one in the box. Their service has gotten terrible and I'm not sure why.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Camster
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Camster »

A gloss or custom finish really slows down the custom shop scope process.Frim what I've gleamed from having a few done,they are sent out,not done in house......Seems strange that a major scope producer wouldn't have this capability under their own roof.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Tasking an experienced assembler to use specific parts for a single scope is simpler than learning the subtleties of different paint methods and materials. Setting up a custom paint shop does seem like a risky departure from their real skills.
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Wouldn't they have to set up a custom anodizing shop? That's a lot more specialized than just painting. :)
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BCloninger wrote:Tasking an experienced assembler to use specific parts for a single scope is simpler than learning the subtleties of different paint methods and materials. Setting up a custom paint shop does seem like a risky departure from their real skills.
Jason, They are not painting them, they are custom annodized colors.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Okay - anodizing instead of painting. It's still a specialized skill that they probably didn't have in house, and it was more effective to contract for those skills than try to develop them in house.
Last edited by BCloninger on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
- C.S. Lewis
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

I don't think the gloss scopes are anodized are they? Seems like those are painted. I could totally be wrong though.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Yes Trent, you are totally wrong on this one. Gloss Leupolds are anodized as are all the matte finished ones, too. They get a light bead blast or an acid etch bath prior to anodizing. Leupolds from the 60's and seventies that saw alot of sunlight tended to fade to a dark plum color over time. The dyes used in the process today are much more UV light resistant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Cool, thank you for straightening me out Bob. :-bd