BSA Platinum

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Chief
Unclassified Poster

BSA Platinum

Post by Chief »

Does anyone have any experience with the BSA Platinum scopes? I think there are two varieties: 6-24 and 8-32, each with mill-dot or target dot.

I know most of you will tell me to save up for something better, but this is for the Savage Mark II-g that my wife shoots. She wants a new scope, and I want to do everything I can to keep her interested in shooting/silhouette. Can't afford to dish out $400 or so for a better scope.

I've read some reviews that say the BSA is not too bad, that it holds its zero and repeats well. If that's the case, even if the picture is not top notch, it would be worth it for the price.

So, can anyone tell me of their experience with this scope?

Thanks in advance.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

I have the 8 x 32.

Post by Jetmugg »

I have one of the 8 x 32 models with the plex crosshairs mounted on my 10/22 backup gun / plinker. Truthfully, I think it's a pretty good scope for the money, has adjustable objective and target turrets which are fairly easy to use. I haven't used it very much, but the repeatability seems OK, considering the rifle isn't that accurate to begin with.

However, I also have a Weaver KT-15 on my CZ 452, which many consider to be an "entry level" scope. The Weaver is superior in pretty much every way to the BSA. The optics are better, the feel, fit and finish are better, and the repeatability is very good. The Weaver has the feel of something that will last a very long time. The BSA doesn't. The KT-15's are not much more expensive than the BSA either. You can regularly find KT-15's on Ebay in brand new condition for less than $150.

My input would be to spend a few more bucks than you would have to for a BSA, and upgrade to at least a KT-15 for a new shooter.

SteveM.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

I started off with a "Contender" series from BSA. The PLat is a better scope. I would not pay retail, I would try to get one in the $90 range. Midway USA blows them out all the time and many other e-tailers have them at huge discounts. Please keep in mind that you may have to send it back a few time to get one that works like it should, but once that's found, it should function for you.

Make the scope run a "grid" once you have found the zero.

Start zero at 50 yards
dial up 6 mins shoot 5 shots and see how close to 3" you are
dial left 6 mins
dial down 6 mins
dial right 6 mins

you should end up with a 3" square.

You can also run the scope to the top and the bottom and ensure you can repete zero.

I assure you that BSA makes a scope that will do this. We have a number of guys shooting with them. I don't sell them BUT I think they are an effective tool to do exactly what you describe, get a new shooter out and involved. I say this while not disputing Steve's point.... you do get what you pay for in equipment, but some time the $ limit we place on getting started IS what gets us out and involved!

Good luck on bringing a new shooter in!

Chicken
Image Chicken George
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

i have 2 platinums bought a year apart, one is actually pretty decent,the first one i got so i ordered another.
they are really not all that similar, physiclly they are a bit off eatch other the turrets are not in the same spot the printing is of diffrent color and the a/o ajustment tube part is longer on one also the supplied screw in caps are not interchangable. all of these i can live with.

what i cannot live with is the way the turrets click,they are good as far as repeatability goes but one scope has crisp clicks the other slides as much as 3 hatch marks before it clicks so if you are going from rams back to chickens you are never really confident that you are really AT chickens.

i am most likely going to get a weaver t series to replace my std rifle the bsa i like is fine for my hunting rifle

one other point of intrest is that the better of the two also will focus to 50 feet so i can shoot in my barn this winter the other is no good up close

hope this helps

handsome dave
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I have an old 8-32 that I bought used for $70.00 and use as an "extra scope". It tracks well. It is clear in the middle of the power range, but left a lot to be desired above 24X. Eye relief is very limited

Other shooters I know with newer models have been extremely dissapointed with tracking
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Just a couple of weeks ago I purchased a used Anschutz for Silhouette. As part of the package the rifle came with mounts, rings and a BSA platinum 8 x 32 scope. Before the Anschutz I was using a stock 10/22 with a BSA sweet 17 6x18 mounted on it. The BSA sweet 17 worked great, the Platinum ran out of adjustment at the rams. We ended up have to shim the scope to get it to work.

Get a scope that has 3 power intead of 4 power. They generally have more adjustment. If you want a BSA, get the sweet 22. The graduation marks on the target turrent are supposed to correspond to the trajectory of a 22lr bullet. They come with target reticle and turrets. Should be able to find it for around 100 bucks. Only get it if it comes in 6 x 18 (sorry I did not check). If it does not, get the sweet 17.

Hope this helps.
tim
redk75
Unclassified Poster

Post by redk75 »

My experience (limited) with BSA scopes is that the prototypes and early models are/were made in Japan and the production units were made in China and at a much lower quality.

I've experience with the big sidewheel 10-50X scopes - I had two Japan scopes that were excellent - and various 24X and 8-32X BSAs. If you want one that is fairly clear and better quality, look for a unit made in Japan.

/Emil
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete A. »

Chief;

I have a 6-24 Platinum w/target dot on my oldest son's gun. It does a pretty good job most of the time. The adjustment knobs are a PIA to reset. You really have to be sure the set screws are tight. If not they slip and cause real headaches/lost targets in a match.

It does seem to change zeroes. But I can't say this is all 'scope' as it is on a 14 year old's gun. I watch him closely but he could be banging it.

It does take more than one rotation from Chickens to Rams. Not a big deal to more experienced shooters but for less experienced shooters it is not hard to become one rotation off.

IMHO avoid the Mil-Dot's as all those dots will drive you nuts on a windy day.

All in all for a new shooter on a budget you can do a credible job with this scope. Plus they come with cool scope caps and sun shade. But do keep saving those pennies for an up grade scope.

Good luck;

Pete A.
iceman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by iceman »

I have 2 BSA Platinums that I've used for 2 and a half years now. They both have excellent repeatability and sharp cliks. But, I did take the adjustment covers off and remove the excess grease lube to accomplish the sharp clicks. The lube is put on them to protect them in storage and shipment much like cosmoline in a rifle. They must be cleaned up a little before use. Most people do not do this and is why the turrets slip instead of clicking. I have had no trouble with them in the time I have owned them. The only time I have to change my zero is when there is a drastic change in temparture. This you have to do with any scope and ammo.

Leroy Squires
gag's
Unclassified Poster

Post by gag's »

chief
I have 2 platinums had them for 1 1/2, one on my model 80g and the other on my MKII. The optics may not be the greatest but they will do for
us beginner silhouette shooters. I've had pretty good repeatability and clicks take some getting used to but althings considered there worth the money. :)
WHY RUN YOU'LL ONLY DIE TIRED!!!!
Semper Fi.
One Shot One Kill.
Fat NDN
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Fat NDN »

I have a 8-32X44 Platium Target dot, it does good for me. I seldom use it at 32x, I use it mostly ar 25X and it stays clear for me. The knobs work well and do not change. Before this scope I had the 6-24X40 Mil-Dot and it was also a fine scope, never had any problems. For the money they are good scopes. Weavers and other fine scopes are probably better, but you pay more.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

i got to look through a fixed 32 at a match las weekend and it was much better than my variable. i belive they are on sale at either midway or brownells or whatnot.

regards
dave
jbattman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbattman »

Ditto to the other posts. I have an 8-32, a 6-24 and a MilDot 4-16. Repeatability is very good. One of the platinums clicks well and one is kinda mushy. Be careful not to strip out the allen screws in the turrets. Also, one minor issue is with the AO on the 8-32. It aint exactly correct, but I use the mini-animal stickers anyway. Overall, yeah, it's a $100 scope, but one that performs well. And BSA factory service has been exceptional and quick. I sent back the 8-32 that got dropped :shock: (I mean, was defective....), and they sent me a new one in less than a week.