Leupold Repair?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Leupold Repair?

Post by dwl »

My trusty Leupold 6.5-20X EFR seems to occasionally 'lose' it's settings. The windage has drifted right 4 to 7 clicks at least twice this season and the elevation lost 4 clicks for about six weeks and then 'found' it's proper setting again during a match. I am frustrated.

Is it the vibration of driving to the match that causes the settings to wander? Is the adjustment system loose and in need of repair?

The latter would require someone to repair the scope and I have been warned that Leupold was not as meticulous at assembly and service as Premier once was. Is there some one who repairs scopes and understands what a competitor needs?

dwl
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

My opinion would be this...Send it back to Leupold. They are providing a lifetime warranty and that is a LARGE part of what you are paying for when you purchase their product.

The climate is a little different now that the Premier / Leupold fall out has taken place, Leupold has drawn a line in the sand. If you allow anyone to alter ANY part of the scope, you have voided the entire warranty. I don't think I would risk that for a $.50 spring that needs to be replaced in the errector(sp?) system...

You can always purchace a spare one from me to have on hand while the Leupold is in for repair....LOL

Chicken
Image Chicken George
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

My Weaver T-24 drifted waaaaay off and then wouldn't track at all.....Right after it took a fall at Tenn state......It says "shockproof" on the side of the box, but don't you believe it....My leupolds have never drifted off. Have never fallen either. They ride around in the back of my jeep, fly on planes, are manhandled by baggage handlers and never move. I agree with the chickster. Send it back..

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Louie Repair

Post by dwl »

Thanks, John and George. I'll give Leupold a try as soon as my last match is over. In the mean time I guess I'll live with it and run the adjustments over to one side and then back for each change.

As for reliability, John, what you have is what I expect. I thought I was crazy when I had this problem in Montana but then I had it again in Utah. I keep a record of my zeros for each match, both elevation and windage so when I saw it again I know I'm not nuts.

I've had some reports of poor Leupold service from a local gunsmith, who is NOT an idiot. I was concerned if Leupold would take my need for accuracy seriously.

George. Thanks for the offer. I'm still financially 'buck naked in the wind' waiting for Marv to bill me. Afterward I can review my debt load. By the way, any such thing as a Leupold 6.5-20 with a dot but without fine cross hairs? Perhaps one with a Premier boost?

dwl
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

As far as the dot Leupold offers (2) different ones. The problem is that they RARELY EVER have the dot on the fine wire (in the custom shop). What they do carry is the "Leupold Dot" style reticle. The one's I am getting built out of the custom shop have a .0060 dot (The old Premier dot was .0067). They say the tapering of the wire is finer than most think and that it happens way out from the dot close to the start of the reticle.

E-mail me if you need more info,

ChickenGeorgeAR@yahoo.com
Image Chicken George