What are the best cutting-edge turrets to use- 2006?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
crittershooter
B Poster
B Poster

What are the best cutting-edge turrets to use- 2006?

Post by crittershooter »

Back in 2001 I bought a 1710 and an 1808, mounting each w/ a VariX 6.5 x 20 EFR and having Premier Reticle put a 32-pitch, .0067" (whatever that means) Target Turret Silhouette dot on each scope. Have never really had a chance to use either gun due to illness, but now in 2006 am looking to really use these contraptions!

Question please: are the turrets described pretty much top shelf at this point in time, 2006, or has technology advanced and other turrets now outpace the Premier units which, I understood back in 2001, to be top of the line stuff for glass on the critter shootin' line? (I understand Premier and Leupold have parted ways to some extent.) If I want the best, should I be looking to sell the Leupolds, going to whatever may now be cutting-edge?

I'm in the Montgomery/Berks county areas of PA and will be looking to join a Silhouette club shortly, wanting to kick off the new sport with top equipment. Might as well go in w/ the best--- then do MY best :wink:

Any seasoned experience on getting started, doing it right, is appreciated.

crittershooter (to be...)
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

You can change the optics that you have but you can't really improve on them. (As you gain proficiency, you 'might' decide that you want or need more power but that's something for the future.)

The .0067 refers to the actual physical size of the dot on the crosshairs. A dot that size will subtend (cover) approximately 5/8 moa @ 20X. Assuming that Premier didn't convert your scope to a 1st focal plane (magnifying) reticle, that subtension (subtention?) will INCREASE (the dot will get 'bigger' in relation to the target) at lower powers.

The rules on RIFLES have changed since you purchased your equipment. Again, what you have is excellent but you might want to consider a 2 stage trigger for the hunter...and, possibly, a Mark Pharr stock for it. Those changes are NOT 'needed' but are things that you 'might' want -- after you play the game for a while and are ready to make choices. (You can find lots of information on both triggers and stocks in previous threads posted on this forum.)

PM me, if you want, with your contact info. I have family in the Schwenksville area and expect to be up there within the next few weeks. We could probably visit and I'll try to answer ???? in detail.
E Kuney