big sky 6-24x42 silh

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
SPRTN308
B Poster
B Poster

Re: big sky 6-24x42 silh

Post by SPRTN308 »

Well, I just got my Sightron Silhouette and I'm moderately impressed with it. I don't think it's as good as my Leupold VX-II 6-18 target. It's good, however it's a little more finicky with eye placement, and just not as bright. Even when I'm comparing the two at around 18X.

The turrets are definitely on the small side, however I don't mind them being a little on the softer side when you rotate them. Since I'm not counting clicks, I find it easier to turn the dials to my sittings. I find the leupold to be rather stiff when changing elevation, so, I like the Sightron offering less resistance.

The AO is bang on as well. I mean perfect. The only downside is that ti doesn't have the metric markings. I wish it did.

For my next purchase I'll definitely be going with the Leupold FX3 in 25X. It's just not right that we have to pay 50% more over US prices for them up here in Canada. Our new distributor up here, Hirsh Precision, was able to sell me the Sightron at 685 CDN, which isn't so bad compared to $630US on midway and such in the US. If I was to buy the FX3 up here I'd be paying around $900 CDN, which is ridiculous compard to what you guys can get them for.

All in all though I prefer it over my VX-II simply because it has the dot, increased magnification, and more user friendly features designed for silhouette. I've mounted this on my CZ 452 for smallbore, and my VX-II is going on my model seven as I start shooting more highpower.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

I agree with your observations, however, in a reversal of earlier statements I just swapped a Leupold FXIII 25x40 for Sightron SIII 20x42MMD hoping the lower power would be easier to handle (I can't steady up with the 25x right now). The glass is very bright under normal light, and Sightron has some great folks so never hesitate to use their stuff.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

The SIII 20x42MMD arrived today, and all I can say is wow. Highly recommended. I'm amazed that there aren't more of these around.
- C.S. Lewis
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I had my 6x24 big sky silhouette for a few weeks, and it is now my favorite scope. Maybe I just like it because it is new, but I like it better than the 6x20 and 25X leupolds, and the Bushnell 4200. All 4 models are great glass.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

what size dot does the big sky 6-24-42 have. Do they have different sizes, and have you tried shooting the square, and up and down repeatabality? Thanks. I believe a true test, not just a "I believe it will" would help their cause. I am looking for another scope for smallbore, and for air. Would it be good for air as well? david
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Hawk-1 wrote:what size dot does the big sky 6-24-42 have. Do they have different sizes, and have you tried shooting the square, and up and down repeatabality? Thanks. I believe a true test, not just a "I believe it will" would help their cause. I am looking for another scope for smallbore, and for air. Would it be good for air as well? david

I did not shoot the square, but it is a good idea. The dot is supposed to be .68 moa, but it "looks" like a half minute dot to me. I think the fine cross hair is a little thicker, so the dot looks appropriate. For some reason it looks very sharp and defined to me. I also like the 1/4 clicks, and the 6-24 range. It does focus to 10 meters on 24X, so I guess it is cool for airguns. I don't have much experience with the scope, it would be good to hear about the long term repeatability and tracking.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

ter wrote: it would be good to hear about the long term repeatability and tracking.
For what it's worth, I am told by the great shooters of WA and Canada that that is not in question. Someone here may be able to pull up the test, but as I remimber it the sightrons tracking scored up there with the old Leupold BR scopes and on par with the Weaver.
Image Chicken George
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Thank you George - that has been Sightrons' reputation.
- C.S. Lewis