big sky 6-24x42 silh

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
pigdog72
B Poster
B Poster

big sky 6-24x42 silh

Post by pigdog72 »

what are they like they read like they have it all i have a 24x44 big sky and the glass is very good any help would be good i'm buying on the net sight un seen thanks .
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: big sky 6-24x42 silh

Post by BCloninger »

Sightron? They're good scopes (you already know that) but Leupold's have better glass.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

I have two of the Sightron Big Sky Silhouette scopes that I bought from Chicken George. I like them both. I also have 3 6.5-20 Leupold EFRs. I use the Leupolds for air rifle and the Sightrons for smallbore and like them about equally. My eyes aren't good (or bad??) enough to tell any differnce in the optical quality. The Leupold might have a bit of an edge but it isn't very much. I like the reticle in the Sightron better, they are much cheaper and the AO markings are spot on. The AO inaccuracy in the Leupold wouldn't matter if I put stickers, so that isn't a big deal either.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Really?! I may need to have my 24x42 checked. The view is pretty bad, but maybe there's something wrong with this one.
- C.S. Lewis
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Also Bob, I may be wrong, but the 24X doesn't have 'Big Sky' glass does it? If not and I am correct, that would be like saying the Weaver grand slam scopes are gray because we have all seen gray 'T' series scopes.

Recently Sightron changed the P/N of the 6-24 Silhouette scope, I don't see 'Big Sky' in the description, but have been told through dist that Sightron says it is the same scope, just a different part number.

But I will add this, the Sightron silhouette scopes I have seen, have all been crystal clear. Also when Sightron introduced them the reps at the SHOT show specifically named Leupold's Vari-x 3 glass as the standard that their 'new' scope were designed to meet or beat.

Chicken
Image Chicken George
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

I believe it is the SII Big Sky 24x44mm, George - the one you sold me. Soured me on Sightron.
- C.S. Lewis
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

BCloninger wrote:I believe it is the SII Big Sky 24x44mm, George - the one you sold me. Soured me on Sightron.
Bob,

Hate to hear that you are having a problem. Not sure if you have ever mentioned contacting Sightron about the problem. But since they are a supporter of our matches (Southern Nationals and both of the now retired Sunshine Classic, and Midsouth Classic matches), I thought we should give them an opportunity to respond. I sent the following e-mail on your behalf to Alan Orr at Sightron, be on the lookout for an email from someone with Sightron RE your 24X with the problem.

Hope this helps,

Chicken

RE:

Mr. Orr,

I am a distributor of Sightron optics and I have a customer that is reporting a problem with a "SII Big Sky 24x44" target scope. He is reporting the 'view' being bad and possibly needing to have it 'checked out'. I am sending this request to you because he had made this problem public on an Internet forum, and I thought it would only be fair if you guys had a chance to respond. I know when I met with you at SHOT in Jan of 2008 there was a substantial amount of excitement about the line (Big Sky) and Sightron is now making headway into the Silhouette community.

I'm not sure what Mr. Cloninger has done to report this problem to Sightron or what opportunity you have been given to remedy his problems, but I trust you will forward this e-mail to the appreciate contact within Sightron to assist Mr. Cloninger with getting his scope repaired.

The Customer's contact information is as follows

XXX XXXXXXX
XXX.XXXXXXX@XXXXXX.com

Thanks for your time and support of the shooting community,

'Chicken' George Rhode
Chicken's Shooting Supply
Image Chicken George
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Message below was rcv'd back from Alan 33 mins later...

George,

Thanks for the customer support and I have emailed Bob for the return of the scope.

Thanks again

Alan

Like I have said many times. We are asked to spend a premium on these products. The good manafactures will not be judged (by me anyway) by their producst alone, but also in their support of them over the years!

Thanks,

Chicken
Image Chicken George
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Thanks for your help, George! As usual, you're great to do business with! As we discussed, I should have used more measured language in my posting, and I apologize to you and Sightron. They do provide a good quality product, and deserved kinder treatment.

Alan and I have traded several emails today, and he has asked me to send the scope in for evaluation. I've told him what my basis for comparison was, and asked him what expectations are reasonable.
- C.S. Lewis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Alan used to shoot silhouette with us here in Florida, so he does know what silhouette shooters like and expect.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

GeoNLR wrote:Message below was rcv'd back from Alan 33 mins later...

George,
Thanks for the customer support and I have emailed Bob for the return of the scope.
Thanks again
Alan
Like I have said many times. We are asked to spend a premium on these products. The good manafactures will not be judged (by me anyway) by their producst alone, but also in their support of them over the years!

Thanks,

Chicken
Chicken, The real problem is BC is just getting old tired eyes, the scopes fine :-B
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Could be, Bob, could be. These days, just generally tired.
- C.S. Lewis
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BCloninger wrote:Could be, Bob, could be. These days, just generally tired.
Get rested up Bob... Lost two friends this week alone.. one 57 and one 59, not a good week and they say it comes in 3's. :(
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Since I'm already registered for Winnsboro, I'm not going anywhere for awhile!
- C.S. Lewis
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I ordered one. I hope it is of the same quality as the Bushnell 4200, and Leupolds VX3s. Since Bushnell does not do the custom dot thing, the sightron has a nice niche with the 6x24 and 1/2 inch dot.