Burris ring inserts?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Burris ring inserts?

Post by ter »

I have the rings and a full set of inserts. What # inserts do I use in the top/bottom, of the front and rear rings? Thanks, Ter
hahud
Unclassified Poster

Re: Burris ring inserts?

Post by hahud »

ter

I have the Burris rings with inserts on all my equipment and I think there great. Scopes work best when the turrets are centered, so this is how I set mine up for .22 cal. 100 meter Silhouette.

First I mount the scope with insert # 0 on top and bottom in both the front and back set of rings, then I crank my elevation knob all the way up, then count the number of clicks to get all the way down, divide that number by 2, then come back up that number of clicks. Your elevation turret is now centered. Do the same with the L/R turret.

Put a target at 50 meters and fire about 3 shots, now the object is to change the inserts in the rings until you are hitting where the scope is pointing without turning the turrets. The inserts come in pairs, +5 & -5, +10 &-10, +20 & -20. You must always use them in pairs per the instructions. If you need to lower the point of impact then you need to lower the rear of the scope so put a -5 on the bottom and a +5 on the top in your rear ring. Fire again and continue the process with 10s or 20s as needed. You can also go to the front ring for further adjustment as needed. The + will be on the bottom and the - will be on the top to raise the front of the scope which will also lower the point of impact.

Now you also have L&R to consider so it's nice if you can use one ring for UP and DOWN and one ring for L&R. Just keep playing with combinations and turning them in the rings until your as close as possible with the scope, and point of impact being the same. Make final minor adjustments with the turrets for perfection.

Hope this helps, just my way of doing it.
Herb
slickab
B Poster
B Poster

Post by slickab »

http://www.usoptics.com/video/centerhi.wmv
This is how I center my vertical and horizontal adjustments for my reticles. Going from one end of the adjustment range to the other and then half way back is not good for your erector system IMO. Next if you place the +20 in the bottom and -20 in the top of the rear ring you should be close to zero at 77 meters. This is with your rings aproximately 3-1/2" apart center to center. From a 77 meter zero I have the same number of clicks up to get to 100 meters as I do down to get to 40 meters. This keeps you nearer the center of your adjustment range. If you are not within a few clicks of being centered horizontally use your 5's in the front, one on left, one on right, then turn them as needed. The direction I turn them is based on how well the 20's center me vertically at 77 meters. JMO. slickest
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

slick, your analysis of it makes way too much sense. If you stay in the center of the travel I think you are way better off. You don't want to go to either end because strange things happen.
Washita
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Washita »

Here's what Burris has to say about the rings. Page 4 has illustrated instructions for adjusting POI, using the optional inserts. IMO, these are the best rings on the market. I have them on several rifles. http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/SIGRINGS.pdf