Budget Silhouette Scope recommendation

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Budget Silhouette Scope recommendation

Post by SqHunter »

What would you guys suggest for a newbie's first silhouette scope? The lady in question is currently borrowing a 4200 4-16, and now wants her own scope. This is to go on a CZ scout.

She has taken quickly to several shooting disciplines, but is still on a tight budget. My guess is 200$ max.

As I understand it, none of the "cheap" options seem to have the combination of 1/4" adjustments, target turrets, AO, and at least a duplex reticle. Most have some god awful "mill dot" contraption. Also, I do not see a custom reticle option for things like the Mueller scopes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rex
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Budget Silhouette Scope recommendation

Post by Dee »

Look into the Barska Varmint series. I use the 6.5-20x50mm with Target dot on my 10m air rifle and it has held up to A LOT of dialing over the past 3 years I think I spend $50 on it. They also make a 8-32x and a 10-40x for around $75 and $100 respectively. Limited lifetime warranty and not bad glass for the money. Still 1/8" clicks but it is a nice target dot at least.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

Another option is the Tasco MAG624-40, 1/4 clicks, target turrets and a duplex reticle. About $70
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks folks, I will pass this info along. I had actually forgotten about the Tasco scopes. Glad to know there are a few options.

-Rex
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
StrayDog
B Poster
B Poster

Post by StrayDog »

George,

Has anyone used the Truglo over time? Have they held up? Thanks.

JT
BWK GA
StrayDog
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I tried shooting some silhouette with a mil-dot scope before and found it to be far to busy to the eye with just to much going on to focus on the shot.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks Dee, I will pass along that info. I had advised to not get the mil dot myself, but I have also never used one.

The lady is still looking, most of the economy varmint type scopes either have a really tiny dot or the mil dot.
avidhunter1
B Poster
B Poster

Post by avidhunter1 »

I am new to silhouette shooting. I plan on using my leupold veri x III 4.5-14x40 AO. I got it used on ebay for $350 shipping in great shape. Good glass, duplex reticule, paralex free down to 25 yards, just needs adjustable turrets added. Look around!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You CAN live with 1/8 clicks. I did for many years. The only time it was a problem is when I started shooting that far away crap at the Teddy. You have to mark the objective lens where you adjust for parelex so you know which animal you are set on. Then you can go back to your zero setting.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

There was an e-mail floating around about knock off Leupold scopes floating around being sold on the internet. I thought nothing of it until the last sight in service that the Hassayampa gun club puts on at Ben Avery. One of the guys was shooting a rifle with a Leupold scope and after about the second shot, the crosshairs fell out. It looked just like a Leupy with a gold ring, from what I hear that you can't tell the difference until it is sent back to the factory for repairs, and then that's when you find out it is a knock off. Buyer beware.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
JCalhoun
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JCalhoun »

Straydog;

I have a Truglo scope. It's about the same quality as BSA, Tasco, Simmons, etc. The clicks seem to be repeatable but the glass is hazy near the edges.

I don't think it's clear enough for shooting any sort of competiton so it's used as a plinker.
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

BSA sweet .22 is a great scope. I hear good things anyway, never used it. But looking at it online, it does have an AO, which would be good for Silhouette. Also, Cabelas has a scope with turrets calibrated for .22lr, I think it's for 38gr bullet. Both of those scopes run about $100 or less.
DOPE? Boy, do I look like a hippy to you?