Good Viper sale

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Good Viper sale

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Just fyi to all,
For some reason, SWFA.com has marked down their Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 in Target Dot down from like $400 to $279. There is no sale date listed, or even a closeout posted, so dunno what gives. I bought the 6.5-20x50 in the target dot also for $279, but it is no longer on their site. So must be sellin out of em. MidwayUSA is doing the same on the 44mm, but lists it as a sale that ends the end of the month. Either way $120 off is pretty good for glass like that, 30mm tubes too.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-3 ... 11232.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=157488
DOPE? Boy, do I look like a hippy to you?
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Good Viper sale

Post by Hawk-1 »

have you tried it for repeatability yet ? what do you think about putting it on an air rifle? thanks
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Hawk,
I'm taking the Crossfire to the range in the next couple days. I will get back to you then. So far as the viper, I won't have the rifle for it for a year or so, just couldn't pass up the price. I read great reviews about them though. The viper turrets clicks are more crisp than the crossfire. BUT, I will zero my CZ, then do a box test. We will see. I don't see why you wouldn't use it on an air rifle.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Mt Med....fyi..air rifles have a different recoil (especially springers)and are extremely hard on scopes so you should really look for a scope built for air rifle. It will be interesting to see how well your new scope holds up to a box test and how long the mechanics hold up. I look forward to the results, keep us posted.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

$249 here unless I missed something
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... per6-20x44
SPRTN308
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SPRTN308 »

They're being discontinued.

Cameraland posted a big sale on www.canadiangunnutz.com and mentioned that Vortex is dropping a number of optics from their line, the 6.5-20x44 being one of them.
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Innocent,
The Crossfire is going on a CZ 452 Silhouette. BUT, didn't know that about an air rifle. I do have a red dot on my air rifle, and haven't had any problems with it.
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Innocent,
The Crossfire tracked just fine. The clicks could be a little more...well, I don't know how to put it. The clicks are audible, and certainly palpable. BUT, once in place there is some play in the turret, but it doesn't seem to effect the poi. The box test was fine. It was a little tough to judge, because of an 8mph wind, gusting to 12-15. I did the box test at 100 yards, the groups opened up with the wind at 100, BUT, the return to zero seemed spot on. I don't regret the purchase by any means, but someday I may put a Leupold fixed 6x on it. If I missed anything holla Mary, - Johnny.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Sounds good...now comes the test of time as to how long the tracking holds ups. Would love to see some more choices in scopes that will hold the mechanics of tracking down.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Springers recoil forward and farters don't. You can put any kind of scope on a farter and it will last forever.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Two weeks ago, I purchased the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 w Target DOT and is exactly what I have been looking for w/o breaking the bank! Even though the lowest parallax setting is 50 yds, I found the optics at 30m to be super at my usual setting of 8X. This is a solid scope with solid clicks with EASY to read turret markings w lifetime warranty! Optics are superb and happy fellow club member brought Vortex to my attention. Perhaps their new replacement line will have parallax down to 50ft for indoor.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Teeter: I'm happy as can be with mine. I put one on my SB hunter, and have used it in ALOT of practice and a few matches now, and it is always spot on, and the clicks are very reliable. I just bought another one this week to put on the HP I'm building. I can't beat $279 for a scope like that. Maybe some day I will go to a Lupy or something, but maybe not. The Viper has 68 MOA windage and elevation, and thats alot more than most scopes, so I would have to spend waaay more to beat it, so a new scope I think will be at the bottom of the list.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Medic, I will not be able to give my Viper a true test until April 2011, unless we have outside temps more than 65. I did take my 8 year old granddaughter out last week for the first time in 42 Temps. At 40 meters, with rams and turkeys, she was plinking like crazy with her cheap 4X on her Savage cub. Off sandbags, that is. What eyes she has! She did not complain about her safety glasses, either. I remounted my repaired Simmons as parallax goes down to 50ft and is ready to go for indoor practice season. Can't wait to use the Vortex Viper next year. I have only one rifle, Marlin 39a. Saving money to buy a target rifle. Past 2 years, enjoy the sport and will even more so with the Vortex w target DOT.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/