choice of scopes

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
harley1
B Poster
B Poster

choice of scopes

Post by harley1 »

I've been away from silhouette shooting for some time now, but have good intentions of getting back into the sport. My question is: Is leupold still the top choice for scopes in this sport, in both H.P. and S.B? What about Nikon, Weaver, Nitrex,and sightron or any others I may have missed. Thanks in advance, Harley1
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: choice of scopes

Post by BCloninger »

Leupold is King of the Hill, followed by Weaver and Sightron. The others are either unproven or, more commonly, known to have repeatability problems.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Can't go wrong with a Leupold, ...ever.
The only reason I buy something else is if I can't afford a leupold for this season. The trouble with Nikons is their parallax typically starts at 50 yards, so not too good for SB. Proly fine for HP. I've never used a sightron. I like my Bushnell 4200 4-16x50 alot, and their side focus goes down to 25 yards, and reasonably priced. Recently bought a Vortex for my SB hunting rifle. Have been reasonably happy with it for a $150 dollar scope.
BUT, if money is no object, then Leupold is my glass.
DOPE? Boy, do I look like a hippy to you?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Buy an old Leupold if you can. I think they were made better than the new ones. The company is changing.
pbansen
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pbansen »

Jerry G wrote:Buy an old Leupold if you can. I think they were made better than the new ones. The company is changing.
Any guidance on buying a used, excellent condition Leupold? Is there any appreciable difference in quality/functionality between the Vari-X III and the VX-III, the former made in '02 and the latter in '06? Both are 6.50-20 EFR.

Thanks - I'm sure I'm agonizing over this more than I ought to...

Pete