focusing issues FX111 or FX3 anyone??? 25x or 30x

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
bwilliams
B Poster
B Poster

focusing issues FX111 or FX3 anyone??? 25x or 30x

Post by bwilliams »

Howdy people,
Has anyone out there experienced any focusing issues with their FX 3 or 111 series scopes? I am aware of 3 fx scopes experiencing focuss issues. I very much like the scopes as they are bright and clear, tracks well, but not sure how the recoil of High power will effect the focus.
Any thoughts?
Brett
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: focusing issues FX111 or FX3 anyone??? 25x or 30x

Post by BCloninger »

My experience with Leupold is, if there's a problem, they'll fix it.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
bwilliams
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bwilliams »

yes this has been the case in the past, however, Leupold is trieng to limit warranty work by putting the pressure on its customers by refusing to do warranty work on products purchased out of the USA and serviced in Canada. so just doing a servey on the FX series.
brett
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Another good US company getting ruined by the bean counters :evil: X(
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Interesting. There was a problem with some early FXIII's focusing down to 40 meters, and Leupold did fix those. I would expect the FX3 to contain that fix, but can't say from personal experience. All my Leupold scopes were purchased in the USA.

Are you sure about their reasons for limiting support on scopes purchased outside the US? Like other name manufacturers, Leupold has problems with counterfeit products coming to them for repair, and then they get to deliver bad news to the owner.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I am using three 25Xs now, and I sold a 30X. I did not have any problems with them. I also have a sightron Big Sky Silhoutte, and I actually like it better. If I had to do it over again, I would get the sightrons. So if you feel uncomfortable with Leupold, that may be an option. Good luck.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

"focusing issues" ? Please explain?

As Bob mentioned they released the FX-III line as a 50 yard model, mistake. They fixed (by fixed I mean to say they chenged them to a 40 yard focus, air rifle scope they are not.) them and the change was made long before the newer FX-3 were even introduced. I don't sell a TON of these, but sell quite a few, there are no "focusing issues" that I am aware of, and most of my customers start their repair process with me. Not saying there are none, just none that I am aware of.

Hope this helps,

Chicken
Image Chicken George
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

I am glad to hear the comment on the Sightron Big Sky Silhouette scope by ter. I have three of them, all bought from Chicken George. I really can't see much difference between the Leupold 6.5-20 (also have 3) and the Sightron. If anything the Sightron's objective lens markings are always spot on for the yardage markings. That helps a lot when you are old and forgetful like me and forget to change the objective lens when going from one animal to another.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Just got some new FX-3's in this week. Yesterday, mounted one on my old favorite 1712 Hunter in Mcmillan stock, got zeroes in just a few minutes, stood up and started practicing on swingers.

At last eye exam a few months ago my dominant eye vision had deteriorated to +0.50(positive diopter) just enough that my vision is not what it should be but not enough to justify eyeglasses. On a Leupold this means I turn the eyepiece about 20 degrees clockwise from the factory setting to get the reticle in focus.

My 40 meter parallex setting was rock bottom as close as the scope will focus but the Chicken looked great. My pig focus was way above the 50 Yard mark. The Turkey focus was around the far right zero on the 100 yard mark and the Ram focus was on the 200 yard mark. I do not consider this a problem that needs correction. In contrast my 6.5-20 EFR's on the Air Rifles are spot on with their parallex settings but the EFR is a different animal.

I expected the focus points to be off from previous experience with Leupolds. I will just buy some stickers from STSBuyer the next time I see him at a Match or use tape marks to keep me straight at the matches.

I would not hesitate to buy Leupold FX-3 series scopes for High Power. If you buy the Leupold Dot, the tapered crosshairs should make a more sturdy, recoil resistant reticle than very thin crosshairs with a Dot. If it fails it has a lifetime warranty not to the original purchaser but to the present owner of the scope and Leupold will fix it. If it breaks just send it to Leupold. They will fix it.

If you get a Leupold, buy one of Fenton Sandlin's inexpensive adjustment tools which is a .050 inch allen wrench set in a nice knurled aluminum handle. It is much better than the allen wrench supplied by Leupold to reset your target turrets to zero and you will not strip out the small delicate Allen screws which is easy to do with that small a Allen wrench.

Hope this helps,
Bobby R. Huddleston
bwilliams
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bwilliams »

thanks for the comments guys. I presently have 2 Leupold FX3 30x, 2-BR 24x & 36x, 2- VX 111 . My fx3's have not given me any problems with focus or tracking, however, i am aware of 4 -FX series scopes (used small bore and High Power that have focus issues going out and tracking issues. I find it strange that up here in the great white north in BC, we are the only ones with these problems.

Another note: There is an information bulletin stating that any LEUPOLD SCOPES purchased in the USA will not be available for warranty service in Canada!!!!!

This sucks as Leupold scopes in Canada cost significantly more $$$ than if purchased in the USA even with, duty, import export permit, freight, and tax...

My 2 cents.
brett
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Them damn 'bean counters' screw up everything they touch. Look what they did to the 22 target ammo at federal.