MEULLER APV?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

MEULLER APV?

Post by silhouette13 »

any one have anything to say about this....besideds buy a leupold , weaver or sightron? i am looking at how they are compared to a BSA or Barksa.

i have friend on limited budget that is not going to be shooting silos hardcore but wants a scope that he "can" shoot silo with. 14x is plenty for someone who will not be shooting lots of silo, price is nice reviews are favorable, i know it cat possibly be world class but is is good enough to get some one into the sport with out scaring them away?
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: MEULLER APV?

Post by Jetmugg »

You might want to check rimfirecentral for info on the Mueller APV, but I don't think it has a very good reputation for reliable tracking.

For my money, a Weaver KT-15 is about the best "budget" scope you can buy. I don't think Weaver is making them new anymore, but you can pick one up NIB or very lightly used for somewhere in the range of $150-$200. This is a well regarded scope in terms of reliability, optics quality, and longevity. Your friend would not be dissappointed with a KT-15, and could probably sell it for nearly the buying price if he ever wanted to get rid of it (he won't).

SteveM
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

ahh, the kt 15, best contender pistol scope ever. that is what i suggested....hard to come by. if he was going to stick it out i would never suggest anything below a weaver classic v. this is his first ever rifle, he is in his mid 20's and this may be a fleeting interest. i am trying really had to get him into something workable with out making him feel the price of performance

thanks for the input

dave
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

I had a Mueller APV until I tried it in silhouette. Just was not reliable. It was fine for "set it and forget it" type shooting. The adjustments always felt mushy too. Glass isnt that clear when comparing to the typical glass use in silo.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

thanks trent,
the reviews were positive most places i read, they were not looking like people who wre up and down the turret though. thsi is the kind of silo specific info i was after.

thanks
dave
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Repeatability is why most silhouette folk stick with Leupold, Weaver or Sightron.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

I have no experience with Meuller,
BUT, for a cheap intro scope, your friend should look at Bushnell trophy xlt. There's a 4-12x40 with AO that runs about $160. They are not full on target knobs, but big enough for finger clicks, and are similar to the ones on my 4200's. OR, I had a Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40 with AO, and was fairly happy with that. It had fine crosshair, and target knobs. The clicks felt a little sloppy, but the box test was acceptable for a $150 scope. I got rid of it when I picked up a Viper on clearance, otherwise I'd proly still have it. My 2 cents.
DOPE? Boy, do I look like a hippy to you?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

My first big target scope was a Tasco and I had real good luck with it. I don't know what they are like now but the old ones tracked good but were a little 'milkey' but what do you expect for $100?
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

The BSA Contender 8-32x44 if hes just starting out is alright. It will give him room to grow, plus the one I had tracked well for a scope under $100. Buy a used one even.
Baby Huey
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

thanks for the input guys, my mentor Durant7 has loaned him a sightron, i will encourage him to save and get something appropriate for the game. if he washes out i will sugest a 3x9 rimfire scope for plinking and shooting squirrils.

BTW my experiance with BSA is they are not worth the 60 bucks they can be had for. i had 2 ordered a week apart, noting matched on them but the part#, shades were not interchangeable and one of them tracked ok the other was awful. beware too good to be true scope deals.

dave
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Hey, I said as a starter scope. I now have a Luepold 24x with a 5/8dot. But heck I dont know how serious he is.
Baby Huey
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

hey CZforlife,
not judging, one of my BSA'a worked pretty good and now live son my brothers kids rifle. just they are not consistant, perhaps they have several contract suppliers.the other was very poor quality.

cheers and welcome to the flock

dave
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Cheers to you as well and tell your buddy when he wants to buy his own scope that weavers are a great midranged scope. Not the best glass but solid and consistent adjustments!!!
Baby Huey
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

I know I will get flamed on this, but don't count out the Tasco Varmit line. Cheap and in my experience tracks well. I have been shooting smallbore for three years and am one score away from making Master in both standard and hunter with a cheap Tasco at 10x. I hope to do that a week this Sunday. :mrgreen:
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

no flame from me, some of the tascos are pretty good, i have a friend with one on a finnfire for over 10 years still tracking fine, i believe it was an old japanese one.
Hoyt
Truball
Easton