Which is "The" Sightron Scope for Silhouette?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Which is "The" Sightron Scope for Silhouette?

Post by Jetmugg »

I have a little disposable income (tax refund), and I'm in the mood to upgrade some of the cheaper scopes in my fleet. I'm interested in the Sightron line of scopes, as they have a great reputation for the combination of repeatability, optics quality, and cost.

However, I'm a little confused about the designations for the various Sightron models. (SI, SII, SII big sky, and SIII), in addition to some of the suffixes used in their part #'s (what is D?).

If possible, I'd like to learn more about the different features of the various models, particularly which model(s) are most suitable for SB silhouette.

Thanks,

SteveM.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Which is "The" Sightron Scope for Silhouette?

Post by silhouette13 »

SIIB62442SIL, dont know what the designations mean but this is the model.

dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Jetmugg, The D appears to indicate a dot reticle. Big Sky series has AO. I would be cautious about getting any scope with anything larger than a 42mm bell diameter, this can cause issues mounting legalling for silhouette.
That being said, if you want a dot reticle look at SIIB 6X-24X42 D. Or if you prefer MD indicates a mil dot reticle system (too much clutter for me), or the straight crosshairs SIIB 6-24X42. THis is a good range for magnification, be sure to look for target turrets also.

Hope this helps some.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Thanks Mary and Dave. Yes, the SIIB 6-24 D SIL looks like the right model (1/4 moa clicks, AO, and up to 24X mag). I like my Weaver 24X silhouette model with 1/4 clicks and SB silhouette distances marked on the AO, but as we all know, that model isn't availble any more. I also have a Weaver KT-15 which is my "back up" scope, but if I buy something new, the KT-15 will then be the third-string scope.

The fixed magnification Leupolds don't exactly have an excellent reputation in terms of focal distances, and I don't hear anything bad about the Sightrons. The Leupold 6.5- 20 EFR's are obviously the standard to which others compare. Right now, I'd say the decision is between a Sightron and a Leupold, unless a nice 24X Weaver Silhouette model comes up for sale.

SteveM.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

on another note, if you decide to get rid of the KT15 it is very desireable. it will sell in a day or less.

dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

I have both the Sightron SII 624-42D and the SIIB 624-42SIL. The 42D has 1/8moa turrets and a smaller dot where as the 42SIL has 1/4moa turrets but a much larger dot (too big in my opinion). The AO adjustment is much better(finer) on the 42D and is better suited for air rifle and smallbore. The AO on the 42SIL is very coarse making it difficult to do fine adjustments but works great for high power. The quality of both scopes is excellent and both have great glass. The 42SIL feels a little more refined and would be perfect (for me) if it used the same AO and dot size as the 42D. I have the 42D is on an air rifle so the 1/8moa is no big deal since chickens to rams is only 3moa. The 42SIL is on my 7-08. I use a Weaver v4-16 o my smallbore rifle because I prefer the tiny dot of the Weaver.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I have Bushnell 4200s, Leupold 6x20, Leupold 25X FX3, and the Sightron 6x24 big sky silhouette. I think they are all excellent with small trade offs with each model. I guess if I had to only have one model, it would be the Sightron. Again the Sightron is very cool, but the turrets are kinda mushy, and I really prefer the CPC reticle over the sightron dot. To my eyes, the sightron has the best glass. When they had the rebate on sightrons earlier this year, they were about 300 less than a Leupold 6x20 efr. That was a very good buy in my opinion.
md10*22
B Poster
B Poster

Post by md10*22 »

I have the same scopes as ter and I agree with what he says. I would add that if you have connections you can get the 4200 series scopes for over a hundred dollars less than the Sightron. In short the 4200 series scopes and some Weavers are a great value. Another scope to look for is a used 6 - 20 Bushnell Scopechief; you can send these to TK LEE and have any dot you want installed. I have two of these and purchased used they cost me just less than $300 each w/ the dot installed. These are a GREAT value. The Leupolds are nice and to my eye the Leupold dot is the nicest reticle there is but there are a lot of cheaper options that are very serviceable. Some day, when I can afford to trade up all my guns will wear either EFRs or Sightron Big Sky Sil scopes.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

A 4200 Bushnell is very heavy, long and the 1/8' clicks will have you spinning the top turret like a top. Oftentimes, you may have to exceed one full revolution from chickens to ram. So you risk being off a full turn from match to match. It's a great scope in terms of quality glass and repeatable settings. But Sightron SIIB62442SIL or Luppie EFR are better suited for the game.
- Joe
pbansen
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pbansen »

md10*22 wrote:
Another scope to look for is a used 6 - 20 Bushnell Scopechief; you can send these to TK LEE and have any dot you want installed. I have two of these and purchased used they cost me just less than $300 each w/ the dot installed. These are a GREAT value.
I just bought a "new, old stock" Scopechief 6-20x40 for $170 on ebay. It has never been mounted as far as I can tell; has some small marks on the turret covers, but otherwise looks brand new. It looks like a great scope and it has the smallbore silhouette distances in yellow on a separate scale on the AO. Duplex reticle which may get changed out for a TK Lee crosshair/dot setup over the winter. Very cool scope - many thanks for this suggestion!

Pete Bansen
Truckee, California
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Chicken George just gave me the tracking# on my new Sightron 6-24 SIL today. I should be a happy camper when it arrives. I will be out there in 30ish temps next week sighting in for our annual "Frosty Iron" shootout scheduled January 28. Got it advertised in our state NRA news letter for the first time. People are invited with any .22 rifle.....etc. Bring your Long Johns and what not. It is known to be 10F at our smallbore silhouette range late January, Frosty Iron shootout. Burr.......ito folks! All southern states are CORDIALLY invited.

My new Sightron SIL will be getting a mild cold weather test, immediately, next week.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Teeter my hat goes off to ya! Anything in the 30's and I try to stay in as much as possible! Shooting in weather that cold just doesn't seem right. =)) Have fun and best of luck with your new scope! :-bd
Baby Huey
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Back to scope talk. My personal favorite is the Leupold FX3 25x. For me this seems to work the best as I'm not disciplined enough to stay on one power with any variable lol. Love all the different variable scopes I have but the 25x does the trick for me for this sport.
Baby Huey
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

CZ..I would be an extremely poor shot with a 25X scope at 40 and 60 meters the way I WOBBLE. That is why I need an AO scope.
10X for chickens and then graduate up. With the Sightron SIL, AO of 10 yds to infinity, I will be able to use the same scope for indoor winter paper practice and summer when raining. This scope has 1/4 MOA which is a must.

One of our fellows uses a "L" 36X and looking through that, I would knock off a Ram or 2. On the other hand, I probably would miss them all with them almost in my face. =)) With just the anxiety if it all.

We will see if Sightron SIL is all that is cracked up to be.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I've heard alot of good things about the Sightrons! You should be in great shape when you get your scope. Keep us posted!
Baby Huey