Target Dot Reticle

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Target Dot Reticle

Post by Sophia »

Spent some time yesterday looking over the shoulders of the bench shooters at our local range. Most of them are in the "retired" age group, and most of their equipment is pushing the 20-year old mark, but I noted that the most popular scope was the Leupold 6.5-20x40mm with target dot reticle. None was marked as an EFR.

I peeked through a couple of them and paid particular attention to the target dot. Seemed pretty precise to me but, in answer to my question, all queried said that was the "standard" size target dot and not an aftermarket reticle. On to my question...

I see two sizes of target dot mentioned on George's Chicken Shooting Supply site -- one is the "old silhouette dot" given as 0.0067" in size, and the other is his offering of 0.0060". How do those compare to the size dot one would get with a plain, off the shelf today version of the scope with a "standard" target dot reticle? Or, asked another way, how big is the "standard" target dot?
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Dot sizes

Post by Travelor »

The "standard" target dot size is 1/8 MOA or .125" at 100 yards. This is the standard dot sized for target, benchrest and F-Class shooters and works very well at 50 yards as the dot subtends only .0625" at that range. This dot is considered too small for off ahnd shooting and I agree.

The dot size George sells is 1/2 minute or .500" at 100 yards. This is becoming the standard dot size for silhouette shooters using a T-24 Weaver scope and I have one and love it. To would be WAY too big for shooting targets, benchrest or F-Class. It is not a ChickenGeorge only custom reticle and is a standard Weaver model: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=856655
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sophia »

Ah, there it is then -- the preferred dot for silhouettes is larger. Makes sense, making it easier to see, I guess. I had (incorrectly) assumed it was a smaller, finer dot. Thanks, George.
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Sophia,
I would recommend that you try several different dots before investing in a scope. Spend the money on good glass, it holds its value and will save a lot of heartache in the long run. Dot size is a matter of preference, I use a 1" dot cusotm but I know several that go with just crosshairs although most tend to the larger dots up to the .67". I do not know any silhouette shooter that will not let a newbie try their equipment.
Having delt with an individual who went completely blind and recovered part of his vision I am acutely aware of the personal preferences based on your eyesight. Attend some local matches and borrow as many different scopes as you can.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Sophia it's a personal choice. Try as many scopes/dot sizes as you can.

I have a Leupold EFR with a target dot and a 24X with 0.5 MOA dot. For me the 0.5 is a bit too big. I like the preciseness of the target dot (helps me concentrate), but in poor lighting or with dark glasses that dot can dissapear (yellow glasses for me, prevent this).

That being said I have a Nikon 6.5-20 with a 3/8 MOA dot that is the perfect size
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Leupold is still my preferred scope even though the Weaver T24's have come on strong lately, and I've used both Leupold's "Target Dot" and "Leupold Dot" reticles in Silhouette competition. The smaller "Target Dot" was actually helpful on chickens, but past pigs it became almost impossible to find the cross hairs or dot, so the larger "Leupold Dot" George pushes is highly recommended. It's easy to see why bench rest shooters would like it, though.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ