Glassing a CZ 452 / 453

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Glassing a CZ 452 / 453

Post by Sophia »

Visited the Friendly Local Gun Shop today and took a look at the only CZ on the shelf -- a 452 Lux. The top of the action featured a machined in dovetail for, I'm guessing, tip-off style rings.

So, how do you guys mount scopes on your CZ? Do you just put rings on that dovetail? Any ol' rings do? Or is there a preferred type / brand / style?
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

452 rings

Post by Jetmugg »

There are several options. I'm pretty sure the Lux model uses an 11mm dovetail. You can buy rings that fit directly onto the 11mm dovetail, or you can use adapters to go from the 11mm dovetail to a Weaver-style rail. Sometimes it depends on which particular rings you might have a preference for. I am using a set of 11mm to Weaver adapters, and a set of Burris Signature Zee rings on my CZ 452 Varmint barrelled action, which is mounted in a modified 452 Silhouette stock.

The Lux is probably not the best (or at least most popular) silhouette rifle due to the stock design and the open sights.

If you haven't been there yet, you might want to check out the CZ forum at rimfirecentral. There are a lot of CZ 452 related posts there.

SteveM.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 452 rings

Post by Sophia »

If you haven't been there yet, you might want to check out the CZ forum at rimfirecentral. There are a lot of CZ 452 related posts there.
Curse you! There went the whole afternoon!

Just kidding of course. Thanks for the referral, Steve. No, I had not yet found rimfirecentral, but now am glad I have. You're right -- it's just filled with info. Thanks.
The Lux is probably not the best (or at least most popular) silhouette rifle due to the stock design and the open sights.
Actually, I'm shopping for the 453 Varmint. Unless I miss my guess, even glassed it will be light enough to stay in the Hunter class (corrections, please, if I have that wrong). It's just that the Lux was the only CZ to be found in town, so that is the one I gave the look-see. I guess when the time comes, I'll end up doing an internet buy and FFL transfer.
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

453 model

Post by Jetmugg »

You might want to consider the 453 versus 452 models a bit more carefully. The set trigger function of the 453 model isn't allowed in the Hunter rifle rules, and I'm not sure that it can be adjusted down to 2 lbs in the "non set" mode.

The 452 model is a much more popular choice, avoiding the higher expense of the 453. Most people modify the 452 trigger with an Eric Brooks kit, an adjustable sear, or a timney replacement trigger assembly.

My 2 cents.

Steve
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 453 model

Post by Sophia »

The set trigger function of the 453 model isn't allowed in the Hunter rifle rules...
Thanks for that, Steve. You're right -- that narrows the selection down real fast.