1712 scope choices: Leupold, Sightron, Weaver... or?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

1712 scope choices: Leupold, Sightron, Weaver... or?

Post by gregw72 »

I have a 1 year old 1712 that I am getting used to. I currently have a Weaver V16 with duplex reticle on it (that I borrowed from my .308) and need to get a new scope for the 1712 (so the .308 has something on it). Also, since I live in the rainy NW, I take advantage of the indoor 10m range in the winter... so the scope needs to focus down to that level and be a variable. Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between my VXII 3-9 Leupold EFR scope and the Weaver V16 clarity wise. The Weaver has a bit more flare when the lighting is just right. My Weaver T24 cannot focus down to 10m, so it is out. Looks like there are few players left that make target turrets/target dots. From what I can tell, looks like you can buy a Weaver V16 with target dot, Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 EFR or the Sightron Big Sky 6-24... and that is about it. The Bushnell Elites don't seem to have a true turret... and they seem to be problematic for setting elevation at CPTR distances. What am I missing and what do you recommend?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 1712 scope choices: Leupold, Sightron, Weaver... or?

Post by Dee »

I use the Bushnell Elites. While they don't have big target knobs type turrets the turrets are actually very usable just just have to get used to them. They make some oversized turrets for them if you really want one. Regardless of the scope you have to dial it correctly animal to animal. If you always adjust for the next before leaving the last you never forget. If by some chance the exact smae setting on the next rotation matches your Chicken and Ram setting taking a couple clicks out of the chicken isn't going to move the POI much at all yet you still have a visibly different setting to eyeball.

For focusing down to 10y and for the quality of the glass and repeatability they are the best scope for the money IMO. I have even recently upgraded from the 6-24x with the 1/4" dot to the 8-32x and having TK Lee put in a 3/8" dot.

Elites are one of the most popular scopes for airguns and Field Target a sport where you can dial the hell out of a scope compared to silhouette and that includes several rotations between targets and people use them no problem.

All the scopes you mention are good scopes it is just that personal preference I guess.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!