Sightron 6-24x42 Scope... what's the verdict

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

Sightron 6-24x42 Scope... what's the verdict

Post by gregw72 »

For all of you who have the Sightron 6-24x42 Big Sky SIL version scope, what are your feelings about them? I am especially interested in how they hold zero, clarity (especially compared to Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR), dot size and clarity at full mag. With the price of the Leupold 6-20 now exceeding $700 by the time you install the reticle you want, these are starting to look like a good deal. Also, is the warranty transferable or is it only valid for the original owner.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Sightron 6-24x42 Scope... what's the verdict

Post by BCloninger »

I haven't seen a Sightron Silhouette yet, but their Big Sky glass compares favorably to Leupold and their tracking is one of the best. Mary has said some good things on their warranty, and she'll probably jump in soon.

A Sightron is typically heavier than a comparable Leupold, so if weight is an issue on your build do some homework before committing.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

The dot is 0.41 inches at 100 yards at 24X.
I have 2 sightron silhouette specials, and they seem a bit more forgiving than the 6x20's (I also have 2 6x20s). The sightron focuses better, and the extra 4X is cool. I like the crisper Leupold turrets, and the tapered Leupold dot. Really they are about a tie, but I have been using the Sightron as my primary scopes on my
22 and air rifle. So given the price, I would lean to the Sightron. Both are competent scopes.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gregw72 »

Thanks for all the info...

Good point about the weight. I have 3 oz to spare on my 1712 with Weaver V16 w/BKL rings... and the Sightron is listed at 1 oz heavier... so I should just make it.

Slightly less than 0.5 MOA dot size at 100 yards would be great. I have a Weaver T24 with 1/2 MOA dot and like it.

How about focusing down to 10 yards? I often use the indoor range to practice offhand when it is raining here in the NW in the winter. I usually run the scope at about 6 power, so the Sightron should be perfect.

I agree that having the extra 4 power (actually 5 cause the 6.5-20 is really a 6.5x19) is nice when my hold is solid... and being able to dial it down when things aren't so steady is good as well. My T24 does not allow for that and cannot focus down to 10 yards... hence the interest in the Sightron.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

The Sightron does everything you want it to do. Plus it weighs the same as a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR, same optic performance, and provides 24x. It does focus to 10 yds. Only knock is the tiny turret. It's not crisp and being tiny makes it difficult to read.

Give one a whirl and watch for Sightron rebates. There has been some nice $75 rebates offered on the Big Sky models this year.
- Joe
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

My SIIB62442SIL, which I ordered from Chicken George, arrived last Thursday. I sited it in for 50 foot for winter indoor mounted on my .22 CZ LH 452 American w BKL 1" tall rings, on Friday. With elevation and windage set at factory 0, I was 4 inches below black magic marker dot on paper and 1 inch to the right, was my estimation. The scope 'O'd at 50 feet in no time and right on off sandbags. Yesterday, I went to our outdoor silhouette range in 43F temp to site in at the 4 distances as we have our "Frosty Iron," shootout Jan 28th for all owners of .22 rifles in the area, whether it might be -10F or 2 feet of snow, the show must go on.
1. The Optics are superb at any distant. 100 meters@24X, I could clearly see the bullet holes on paper target.
2. Optics present extremely sharp images with contrast.
3. I love the 1/2 inch MOA DOT Reticle. It is the perfect size for me.
4. 60 MOA E & W requires no shimming in rear ring.
5. AO is 30 feet to infinity and might add, the distant markings are DEAD ON.
6. Comes with 3 inch hood and lens caps.
7. Turrets are small and mushy. Too much grease?
8. Small turret numbers and hash marks are NOT easy to read.
9. Lens caps will not stretch far enough if 3" hood stays attached. I'm using old Simmons caps that stretch the full distance.
10. Elevation nbr markings are 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10............18. Fortunately at 43F my elevation settings were O, 2, 4, 8. :))
11. Made in Japan and assume all parts made in Japan?
Summary: I really like this scope.
I was able to try out my 3rd pair of shooting glasses over the last 8 months whether indoor paper or outdoor. Each time they were refined. My third try was adding lower bifocal and adding the most strength at top of lens and stayed with light purple tint. Shooting glasses turned out to be perfect. I will pay them Thursday. I can read the turret numbers and hash marks up close with detail. The upper lenses are good from 2 feet to infinity while the bifocal is good to 1 foot max.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/