Differences in Leupold scopes 1983 to 1997

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Differences in Leupold scopes 1983 to 1997

Post by durant7 »

I guess I am embarrassed to admit that over the past 11 years of experimenting in this sport I have accumulated 6 Leupold scopes, all previously owned. I suspect that is nothing compared to serious shooters. 2 SB guns, 3 Air guns, 2 HP guns and that is SEVEN so heck, I am not even at the theoretical limit. But, my primary gun has a Weaver T24. Go figure?

I find each scope has unique behaviors. I'll start off with the two 24x. 1984 (R) mfg 24x is pre BR-D but the "short" variety. For some odd reason this scope has 6 to 7" of eye relief and it is a very tight range for head (eye) location. I don't use it. Knobs are positive detent, low resistance. My 1985 (S) 24x looks identical but eye relief is normal, knobs are positive detent, low resistance. My favored scope pre Weaver. WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT when they were mfg just a year apart??

Next, I have a pair of 6.5-20x40 EFRs for air gun era in Texas. 1992 (z) is gloss, normal eye relief, positive detent but HIGH turning resistance. I sent it to Leupold and it came back the same, no problems found. Knobs are still tight. The second EFR was mfg in 1997 (E) and is the same except the knobs are positive detent and low resistance, works great. WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT but this time mfg 5 years apart??

Next, I have my favorite 6.5-20x40 non EFR. 1985 (S) mfg. It is a bit odd in that it is a first focal plane scope and Nomad believes it to have an early boost as the ocular is at it's outer limit and he claims more magnification and smaller field of view than a normal 6.5-20. Weighs 18 oz, clear, clean, low resistance detents. Someday I need to really compare side by side to another 6.5-20. Scope works great but is 1 oz heavier than the T24.

Lastly, I came across and picked up an early 36x, pre BR-D but "short". 1983 (P) mfg. I guess this one is the scope that caused me to spend a few hours last night collecting data. These knobs are VERY high resistance. So much so it tends to "reverse" one click after you release it, whether you are going in or out, same resistance either way. The type of resistance you might expect if you are up against the limit of travel. But the resistance is throughout the entire 60 moa of "theoretical" travel. (15 moa per revolution, 4 revolutions) This is similar to my 24x adjustment range. I tested a 6 moa box yesterday and given I was not on a concrete bench, I give it 95%. It was so close it could have been me. I was satisfied it works and there are no major problems. Humm.

So, is this all normal? I wish I could send them all back to Leupold and tell them to make them like the low resistance, crisp detent scope example. But, something tells me they have manufactured the erector system differently as they attempted to satisfy the competitive shooter. And, what makes a BR guy happy does not make a MS guy happy. Hummm. I think my next step is to test the unmounted scopes on my 10m gun and see how they do with a 10 moa box. If they are fine, let it be. If not...

I just thought I would see if anyone has some similar experience and counsel.

Thanks in advance!

Jud
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Differences in Leupold scopes 1983 to 1997

Post by silhouette13 »

the old boosted one is clearly defective and you should pawn it off to your good buddy Dave.
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton