Still scope shopping

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Still scope shopping

Post by glen ring »

I'm still scope shopping because I only want to do it once.
I have A Kimber HS and I've been looking at several scopes. Today I looked at a Leupold 8 to25 power and was wondering if any of you guys or gals have any experience with this scope. Any comments/advice appreciated.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Good scope, all of the VXIII Leupolds are. If you haven't already done so, check out chickensshootingsupply.com and his deals on custom shop leupolds. Chicken George is one of the good guys and he will not steer you wrong.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

glenn ring,

I can only pass on what I was told about the 8-25x40 varixIII was per Chriss Thomas of Priemer Reticale and he stated that scope was to the outer limits of usable magnification and did not reccommend it nor would they try and double it, that being said I have personnally owned two and had not one problem with them. I also have seen and used one of the 8-25x40 VXIII that Chriss moded to a 50 power before they stop doing mods. So I said all of that to say this I would deduce from him moding the new VXIII that they have now fixed whatever the problems of the variXIII was. Might want to check the weight on these, as I do remmeber they are a little on the heavey side. 23oz if memory serves me right, 6oz more than the 6.5x20.
Concur with John, chick is one of the good one's and he will do all it takes to get your up and running.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

I have a Leupold VX-III Long Range Target in 8.5x25 power with a Premiere 1/8 MOA dot. Love it and the 25 power is what I use all the time if the mirage allows it.

This model has a 30mm tube with a 50mm objective.

I recommend it.

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Good info so far... I will try and give you some more from another angle....

8.5-25x50 long range...

Positives for silhouette?? ...humm I'll think on that for a while..

Negatives...

Weight =21 ozs... 2 more than 6.5-20, But I can get you a 32X B&L in that weight range.. 24X easy...

Cost = P/N 55176 MAP pricing = $839. Not to say they can't be had for less...just can't advertise lower than that

A/O min Distance = 50 yards...changeable...but at the price of loosing infinty and then some.. Call Leupold's Custom shop and they will give you the low down on re-tuning the ao for MIN of 40 yards...prob need a little more than that to read news paper on all ranges / conditions at the chicken rail!

A/O is side focus... GREAT for long range shooting as George mentioned, SUCKS for silhouette... not like a distance marked AO where you can just walk up to the line and turn to 77meter marking (B&L and Weaver)

Reticle - Dot is too small, larger dot will cost you $54.99 and shipping both ways $30, $85, granted you can add this to the lesser priced plex model but still more... Leupold is THE ONLY place to get a reticle and not loose factory warranty. Who would want a $900 paper weight...

Ok, back to the positives for shoting this scope in silhouette...

Humm..I'll get back with you if I think of any...Ha-ha...

You want the 25X... go Weaver T-24 for $375, AND save 5 ozs, we shoot in near perfect light, no need for more scope and save $500....

want a varible... go B&L 6-24 and get good optice and great tracking .

Both of witch focus down below chickens and are distance marked for the animals.

Stuck on Leupold? Get a 6.5-20 EFR with the 'silhouette' dot from me for $600 delivered... Save $250+ and have a silhouette scope, not a longe range target scope, Leupold named it that for that reason, that is what it was designed for...

Hope this helped,

Chicken
Image Chicken George
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sophia »

...want a variable... go B&L 6-24 and get good opticle and great tracking . Both of witch focus down below chickens and are distance marked for the animals.
George, which B&L model is this?
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Just something else to consider here... If you want to dry fire practice at shorter ranges like inside the house, minimum focus distance is a BIG deal. My Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x and Sightron SII 24X scopes can focus down to around 10 meters or so, but my Weaver T24 can't focus nearly that close. My Leupold was worse than the Weaver.
Olive
Unclassified Poster

Leupold, LR Focal Range... :(

Post by Olive »

I too was interested in the 8.5*25 and contacted Leupold custom -- not easily adjusted below 50 yrds --- I asked for a 10m to 150M range and the response was at a minimum of 10 yrds the maximum would be 50 yrds! Our indoor range is 25m -- so I'll continue to look at the EFR6.5*20 (it just bothers me that this is marked as an "airgun" scope?!) -- needless worry?

BTW, also in contact with Sightron -- SIII and they said that they'll tear one down and try to adjust the focal range in line of a 22LR round -- I'll report later.

Finally, George has the best deal that I've seen -- $600 to the door for the EFR... currently in 1st place!

ps. Does anybody really "lap" their rings (rimfirecentral is very keen on this procedure) and if so -- anybody have a smith in MI they would recommend -- thanks to all.

Regards, Leo
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

scope shopping

Post by glen ring »

The best deal that I've found is from george and I think Ill buy the 6x24 leupold off him.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I can't wait to get this Kimber and scope combo up and running.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Leupold, LR Focal Range... :(

Post by GeoNLR »

ttime wrote:I too was interested in the 8.5*25 and contacted Leupold custom -- not easily adjusted below 50 yrds --- I asked for a 10m to 150M range and the response was at a minimum of 10 yrds the maximum would be 50 yrds! Our indoor range is 25m -- so I'll continue to look at the EFR6.5*20 (it just bothers me that this is marked as an "airgun" scope?!) -- needless worry?
Regards, Leo
2 Things...

You are dead nuts on the focus range.. I had a front focus AO that was a modified field target scope...went from 10 yards to ~80 yards max....

On the "Air Rifle", think of it this way, the scope has MORE protection inside than a regular 6.5-20 huunting model. It is designed to absorb recoil in BOTH directions as some of the heavy spring guns can destroy a scope recoiling forward.... More than needless wory, it's peace of mind....

Jason is dead nuts as well, I was addressing the MIN needed range of 40M to 100... Great point to look down the road at other uses for the same $.

6-24 Is the B&L bushnell. I think the model # is BL42624-RETICLE

The Leupold is the 6.5-20x40EFR I get them built off the LEU55152 tube

Thanks,

George
Image Chicken George