CZ 453 set up.

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Detritus
B Poster
B Poster

CZ 453 set up.

Post by Detritus »

Hi everyone,
First things first, GREAT SITE! Spent the holidays catching up on all previous posts. For my X-mas present to myself I also put money down on a new 453 to replace my temperamental Savage as my Silhouette rifle. I was planning on a Meopta Artemis 3000 tactical http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=140&lang=en
with "X" mounts. Problem is our Hunter Class weight limit here in Aust. is 3.5 kilos (7.7 Pounds :( wish i waited and racked up cash for an Anschutz now :wink: ) Does any one have any really lite-weight suggestions for rings and glass ?

Cheers,
Detritus.
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Might look at scopes with "non-mil-dot" reticles

Post by Pete A. »

I got to tell ya; I tried shooting a fellow's scope w/mil-dot reticle and it drove me nuts. Trying to settle the cross hairs within all those dots was a challenge. I'm a weak "A" and have plenty of wobble in my sight picture. I want just one point to line up with the target.

I'd recommend either a duplex or the smart money seems to go to the 1/2min single dot as the 'go to' reticle.

Pete A.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

What Pete said. A silhouette scope needs a silhouette dot, excellent "repeatability" of elevation and windage adjustments and very little else. Tactical scopes are for a different discipline.
The Weaver and Sightron silhouette scopes weigh about 16 ounces. It's hard to get lighter. Variables add a little weight.
Good luck and good shooting.
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 453 the one with the SET trigger?
Is that legal for hunter class?
I think it is not legal for the hunter class here in the States, but I might be wrong.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Detritus
I concur with many of the comments already posted. A reticle with a single
point of reference is best, similar to the Z-Plex if you're sold on the Meopta. I don't know who you have in Australia for making custom gun parts but both Marvin Pearson'Metalhead' and Mark Pharr monitor this site
and they may be able to help you with mounts. If you can manage with
an off-the-shelf mount - BKL mounts are also good and fairly light weight.
That Mil-Dot might be OK for 'roos in the outback out to 1000m with a 7.62
- probably like anchoring our prairie dogs at 400-500.
Detritus
B Poster
B Poster

CZ 453

Post by Detritus »

Thanks for the insights,
Seeing that i bought the rifle as an "upgrade" hopefully to progress to better scores, dumping the mil-dot idea and going for the single dot silhouette orientated recticle seems sound advice :) Although this CZ will also be used for Field Rifle and i thought the Meopta recticle might come in handy on our Wind-Tunnel of a range :cry:
...Papabear, the set-trigger on the 453 can be rendered inactive thru adjusting the screw, which i'd hope is enough to pass muster, but the set feature can be removed altogether and ur just left with a single adjustable trigger. I also liked the fact the foremost action/barrel screw is much closer to the reciever than on the 452.
Looking into chasing up some BKL mounts this week. I have a Bushnell 4-18x40 that was on the Savage but it was purchased 7 years ago. But ill check out both Weaver and Sightron :!:

Cheers
Detritus.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Detritus gets my vote for best board "handle," tied with "Powding."
Detritus
B Poster
B Poster

DeTriTus.

Post by Detritus »