decent entry level scope

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

decent entry level scope

Post by joemo »

I have a new cz 452 that needs a scope. I would like to try shooting silhouettes. I would like to spend between $250-$400 for an all-around type of scope that can be used for silhouettes and general shooting. Is there anything in that price range you would recommend?

Most of the scopes with target turrets that I have seen are either low end or high end. Is there anything good in the middle? I know you get what you pay for, but I just don't want to spend $5-600 or more without knowing if I will stick with it.

Thanks to everyone that responds.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: decent entry level scope

Post by dustinflint »

If I were you, I would either get a Weaver T24 or a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 with a dot reticle. The Bushnell would probably be better "all around" because it's variable power. You can find both new for around $400. I have two Bushnells 6-24, a Weaver T24 and a Weaver T36 and they're all great for silhouette. If you're one of those people who doesnt like having fun and therefore doesn't like silhouette shooting, you can easily get most of your money back for either of those scopes.

Dustin
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

I would like to have a variable power scope.

If I could find a Bushnell 4200 6x24 for $400. I think I would be interested. The new ones I have seen are over $500. I think this scope is being discontinued and they are hard to find now, at least at the $400 price range.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

It looks like all the old standby online stores are sold out. There were some available for around $350 earlier this year. If you want a Bushnell, try a WTB post in the Marketplace. Lots of shooters here have that scope and you might find someone willing to give you a good deal on one. Also keep an eye on ebay.

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

joemo, look for a Weave KT series and get some aftermarket turrets for it.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Would these aftermarket turrets work ok on one of the weaver variable power scopes.

Natchez has some Weaver scopes on sale that seem interesting. Some of them are 50 mil scopes. I think that seems like to big of a scope for a cz 452. Does anyone have an opinion about that size scope on that gun?

They also have a weaver classic v 24 ao with varminter reticle for @ 325. and a weaver 6-20 grand slam AO with a fine cross hair dot reticle or the varminter reticle for @ 350. Would either of these be a good choice? Which would be better.

Sorry to ask so many questions.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

joemo, the newer Weaver variables do not have the quality and reliability of the the old KT's or if you can find one an old T- series 16 or 24.
Also for an objective size on a 452, you will probably want to keep it to nothing over a 42mm, even 44mm is pushing for a high mounts and that can be a problem clearing the barrel. I have actually found an old T-10 for 100 bucks at a gun show, about two months ago, so keep your eyes open.
That or look to some of the Leupold Vari X II and put the same after market knobs on.

Mary

shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Buy a cheap scope for your first year, spend your money on more (and better) ammo and trigger time (gas to get to the range) work on your stance, hold, breathing, sight picture, trigger control. and get a yodave trigger kit for your CZ.

I shot my first year with a Bushnell 6x18x50 I bought off craigslist (will sell for $75 + shipping) and recently upgrade to an used EFR I found on the net for $500.

Jim
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I would rather shoot with a cheap gun than a cheap scope, especially when new to the silhouette game. I'd go for a Weaver V16 for general shooting with a touch of silhouette, or a V24 or Elite 4200 6-24 for mostly silhouette but also some general shooting. Nothing will frustrate a new shooter more than a scope that doesn't adjust reliably every time when going from one animal to the next.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Amen to the comments made by Jason.
Mary

shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Yes Jason and Mary you are correct, I did give some bad advice there.

I was thinking about practicing at a single distance and not about matches where repeatable settings are SO very important. Here in the north our silhouette leagues are done for the year and it is practice time until you can't hold aim through the shivers.

Jim
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
pbansen
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pbansen »

I'm going through the same process, trying to find the elusive closet-queen Weaver T24 or Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 in nice condition for a decent price. One scope that I have come across a few times is a Weaver Classic V24 (6-24 variable). Seems like a good candidate - does anyone have comments on that one? Seems like a guy could pick one up for a good price, then have TK Lee do a dot conversion.

Thanks!
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I bought a 4200 8-32 slighty used for $340. Put a WTB add over on the airgun yellow forum. Seems like quite a few of them are floating around over there.
Baby Huey
pbansen
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pbansen »

Thanks, BH. I'll keep an eye on that forum and on the RFC Trading Post. It's probably splitting hairs, but is there anything that would be valuable to know in deciding between the Elite 4200 6-24 and the Weaver V24? There seem to be a fair number of both of those scopes on the used market, although the difference in price between a used one and a new one generally isn't enough to warrant buying used. They DO seem to hold value pretty doggone well - I think I'd be inclined to just bite the bullet and buy a new one.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I shoot nothing but 4200 Elites on all my rifles in 8-32 with one 6-24x still in there somehow, need to bump that one up to 32x eventually. Some have TK Lee dots others are shot so much I can't find the time to spare them off the rifle for the install. Last one took over 6 weeks or longer to get back IIRC. But he does a nice dot and the rest need to go soon.

I would get the Bushnell and not even think twice. You will never find glass on a Weaver that is comparable to the 4200's glass for brightness and clarity. It focuses consistently and it holds up to a lot of dialing. If they repeat with the amount of dialing FT shooters do with them silhouette ain't nothing. Plus the are tough as nails surviving on TX200's. IMO for the $ the best scope out there. Now I have Bulzeyepro boosters to slip on them as well that bumps them up to around 40x and even with the slip over lens it STILL looks better than any Weaver I have seen. Weavers are solid and they repeat but you feel like you need a trip to the eye Dr after looking through one IMO. There is the occasional clear one out there but they are the exception not the rule.

Don't worry about the 1/8" clicks and over rotating it is not that big a deal to remember and I see the 1/4" clickers just plain forget all the time too. Just make sure you have enough play in ounces to add to your rifle for weight. They are around 22 oz. Not sure what a V-24 weighs but I know the fixed are around 16-17oz.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!