A bit Confused

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

A bit Confused

Post by steveyacht »

OK, I have found the gun, a CZ 452 American. Now, I am researching and actively looking for the right scope. I am a REAL novice when it comes to scopes and proper scope usage. While I have been a competative shotgun shooter, steel shooter, USPSA shooter and am an instructor in various disciplines, I am entering into unknown territory.

I would like to understand what sort of scope I need. I keep hearing Dots, Varminter, etc when it comes to reticles. What is the preferred reticle for this sport? If it is a Mil Dot, what size? Is a variable power scope preferred over a single power? When it comes to "click adjustments" what is better, 1/8th, 1/4 or 1/2? I see the largest objective diameter for this particular rifle is about 40 or 42 mm, so that I understand.

In relation to the scope, what rings are preferred? Would the rings available from CZ be acceptable and of high enough quality to get me by? Should I look elsewhere? I am attempting to keep my budget under $1,000 for the rifle, rings, extra magazines and spotting scope. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Sorry for all the dumb ass questions, but inquiring minds must know........ (I don't get called anal without good reason)

Thanks in advance for your help! I really do appreciate all I have received! What a great bunch.
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Re: A bit Confused

Post by jdp »

As far as rings, try BKL 257, or 257 H. One is regular, the H is high. They are reasonably cheep with above average quality. Pyramid Air has them for $19.50 and $21.25. I have used them on everything. Most likely the standard will work. If you take a little time you will be able to find a used Leupold vxIII 6.5x20 EFR In the $500-$550 range, which you can use from now on. Lifetime warranty and if you figure out after testing others, what size dot you want they will change it for you for$59. Most everyone has at least one 6.5x20efr. The regular 6.5x20 will work but will only focus down to 40 yards. The efr 30 feet. Which you can use with down sized paper targets at closer ranges for practice if needed. Also target knobs and 1/4 moa adjustments are preferred.
John Peterson
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Amen to jdp, the reason 1/4 minute is desired is so that you don't have to go over a revolution for the distance changes from 40 to 100m. Once you you around more than one time keeping track of which revolution you are on can be cumbersome.
Reticle is a personal preference, in my years of instruction, I have found that mil dots add too much additional thought processes for a newbie, stick with crosshairs or a dot, and again that is personal preference. small dots are great if you are trying to shoot groups, if you are going for quick target/dot assessment then go with a larger 1/2 or 5/8 dot. I shoot a 1 minute dot, but that is unusal.
Behind Leupolds are the Weaver T series, (or K series with aftermarket turrets), then Sightrons. In my years of observations, Weaver has the best mechanical tracking, but the darkest glass, Leupys great glass and solid mechanics, Sightron great glass, good mechanics and like Leupold a lifetime warranty that has proven to be good.
As jpd points out, the glass can go on anything, so investing in good glass up front saves a lot of frustration, and money later.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steveyacht »

How does this one measure up?

Sightron SII Rifle Scope 6-24x 42mm Adjustable Objective 1/4 MOA
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

You might also look at the Leupold VXII 6-18x40.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Yep - with the rebate that's a great buy.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steveyacht »

OK, this is the one that I have found. If anyone can tell ,me if it is available at a better price, please do. If not, and this particular model has your (collective) blessings, this is the one that I will order.

Thank you all. What a great web site.

Steve
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

steveyacht wrote:OK, this is the one that I have found. If anyone can tell ,me if it is available at a better price, please do. If not, and this particular model has your (collective) blessings, this is the one that I will order.

Thank you all. What a great web site.
Steve,
The links above show the Sil model, which is a great scope, BUT the $75 Rebate does not apply to that model! I'm not saying don't get it, just know that Sightron is not offering the rebate on that specific model - the way I read their site. :-s They do offer the rebate on the SIIB62442D model. I'm not familar with either of them to offer buy/don't buy adivce, but just putting the rebate into perspective.

Hope this was helpful, not harmful. :D

ShootingStar
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steveyacht »

I meant this one and didn't post the link! (DUH!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Steve, The only thing I see to hold me back on this link for the Sightron is the 1/8 minute adjustments. Not a total deal killer but be aware that typically you are looking at more than one revolution change from 40 to 100 meters when you get into the 1/8 minute adjustments.
Sightron does list some of their Sil models with 1/4 minute adjustments.
Mary