Mounting scope precautions?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Mounting scope precautions?

Post by Tancred »

I finally have a quality scope. The last thing I want to do is screw it up when mounting it to the gun. I don't think my rings need lapping, but I don't know for sure. Any tips on this procedure? Is lapping done even when you're not sure it's needed? How do you check to see if you need to lap?

thanks

Tancred
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Mounting scope precautions?

Post by ShootingStar »

Tancred,
Let us know what brand/model rings you purchased. Some are of such good construction that they may not need lapping. Also make sure these rings are exactly what you "need" before you spend the time lapping. You may feell more comfortable with higher/lower rings or they may not allow the scope to get close enough or far away enough for comfortable neck/head position. Mark sure all of this before you lap.

I have used some electricians tape and shims in some of my scopes and still not had problems enough to need (or even think I need) lapping.

ShootingStar
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Mounting scope precautions?

Post by Tancred »

The scope is a Leupold VX-III and the rings are BLK. Hope that helps. I've got another scope on the rifle and rings and there doesn't seem to be a problem, just want to be sure—I've done stupid things before.