anyone using / used a barska 6.5- 20x 50mm?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

anyone using / used a barska 6.5- 20x 50mm?

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

i know a poster by the name of DEE has had good success, and the searches produced scetchy results so here goes....

here's my dilema and a long winded reasoning so as not to sound newbie-ish:

i have a mkii bv whose lower priced optic has crapped out (right there i should learn my lesson on buying another el cheapo scope). it's a simmons with a mildot reticle that is suppossed to be replaced by bushnell (whom owns simmons) but they are taking their sweet time in doing so (going on 3 mths).

since, in the end, i'm really going to be shooting at known distances at paper and silhouettes, i don't really need a mildot or other rangefinding type reticle. a target dot is optimal for this IMO, and for me is less busy when shooting silhouettes. i'm hooked on side focus and tall target turrets, but for my purposes an AO and regular finger adj. knobs will be fine.

i'm also looking to get another rifle and have an optic in mind to put on the future addition. the optic i have in mind starts at 8x which is more power than i feel comfy with using for for the first silhouette distance, so buying that optic now for the mkii and moving it to the new rifle is somewhat counter productive in the short term. so i want to stay at a low budget optic for the MKII as i may be selling it anyhow, and for the deals offered by cabela's, etc on new mkiis, i may not get much for a used one including the optic. so for $64.95 i found a barska 6.5 - 20x 50mm target dot that i'm considering putting on it.

i looked at others including a millet buck gold 4-16x fine cross hair, but it has a 56mm objective and i believe it will have to be mounted too high for comfort or out of height regulation for standard rifle in silhouette competition. i also looked at the 4-12 vortex crossfire fine crosshair (99.95, but i like 14x on the furthest silhouette animal) and tasco target dot (100.00 +). i've been through too many BSAs to even consider them again.

so i know the options that are available in that price range, and i know i'll probably get "try this one and that one", but please only input on the barska target dot, if anyone is using or has used one, is it worth getting or just another POS not worth bothering with?
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: anyone using / used a barska 6.5- 20x 50mm?

Post by Innocent »

TP, look for a Weaver KT 15 or so for a low priced reasonable scope. I have had some luck with an Eagle Eye Optics 4-16X40 AO. Have only run it four matches so far though, but $132, seems pretty good so far.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.