Bushnell Elite tactical 5-15 ??

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
RobMac
Unclassified Poster

Bushnell Elite tactical 5-15 ??

Post by RobMac »

Just purchased a new CZ 452 American for my son and I. We are planning to do some Sillouette shooting, as well as some general small game plinking. Looking for a decent scope that will not break the bank. Considering the Bushnell Elite tactical 5-15. Like the fact that it has target turrets on it. not sure if the 15 power is enough for the shooting range ?? I have heard that higher power is not needed for beiginers. Any insight appreciated. (I was alos considering the 4200 elite 6-24 Bushnell) Thanks
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Bushnell Elite tactical 5-15 ??

Post by BCloninger »

You might consider a comparable Weaver, contact Chicken George for a suggestion in your price range, or watch the classifieds. Leupold, Sightron and Weaver are the more commonly recommended brands because they have a good combination of optics, mechanicals, weight and value, and they're the brands I have first hand experience with. Burris is much more common on air rifles - not a knock on them, just an explanation for my having no experience with them.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Burris is great glass, and lifetime warranty but very limited in reticle choices (no changing them) and tend to be heavy. RobMac, go with Leupold, Weaver or Sightron for the above mentioned reasons. Also, while many go with fixed power, a variable especially for a beginner is handy. Good ranges are 6X18, 6.5X20, or equivalent. You will find that somewhere between 8 to 16 is a good starting point for a new shooter, and after some practice holding 20 to 28 power is comfortable.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
RobMac
Unclassified Poster

Post by RobMac »

My price range is a max of about $400, now considering the Weaver Grand Slam 6-20. A liitle concerned because it lacks the "target" type turrets, but it is 1/4 moa. Appreciate any feed back on this. Thanks Bob Mac
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

I'm not familiar with the Bushnell model you mention. I have seen a Weaver Grand Slam in use by Doug Greer. I think he was AAA/Master, so it worked for him. That said, the Grand Slam certainly looks to be a bit less challenging than a scope with coin slots, but not by much. If I was going with a Weaver variable, I would consider the V-24.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

My price range is a max of about $400, now considering the Weaver Grand Slam 6-20. A liitle concerned because it lacks the "target" type turrets, but it is 1/4 moa. Appreciate any feed back on this.
RobMac,
My son & I both have Weaver Grand Slams 6.5 x 20 and they work just great. You are indeed correct it does not have the tall target turrets, but it is numbered and has 1/4 division lines so adjusting is a snap. His is older than mine and has 1/4 minute clicks like you mention, that can be seen easily and adjusted easily. Very clear glass and very repeatable. I have a Weaver T-24 with 1/8 minute clicks and 1/8 minute dot sitting atop my Annie. Lots of folks have concerns about the 1/8 min clicks and I understand what those are (read about them elsewhere) but I have not found 1/8 to be a problem for me. As others have said, adjustable magnification is a very good feature when starting out in this game.

JUST A CAUTION: The new Grand Slam on my NS522 is bright and clear BUT has a tiny little dot at the intersection of tiny little crosshairs. Might be difficult for new shooters to pick up. I STRONGLY suggest you look through the scope you are considering buying to ensure you will be happy and not have to do a quick resale. This is especially true if you are planning to use the same scope for general small game plinking. The tiny dot/crosshairs is the reason the original owner put it up for sale. For me (a few years of silhouette under my belt) - it's fine for silhouette, but I could not use it in the woods! If the one you are considering has the 1/4 min adjustments, then it will also have a slightly larger dot, on the small side, but still usable for a beginner.

The Weaver brand is outstanding and I would not hesitate to buy another if I needed it.

ShootingStar