Konus spotting scope quality and opinions

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
ScottShepherd
Unclassified Poster

Konus spotting scope quality and opinions

Post by ScottShepherd »

Hello Shooters,
i am looking for a spotting scope. i dont have a lot to spend on it but i a not buying another junk spotter. i have several that make great wheel chocks. i am getting back into silhouette and would like some opinions on a konus i found on amazon. konus model 7120

here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DX ... PDKIKX0DER

also looking at the nikons and bushnells in the $350 price range.

any input would be appreciated
thank you
Scott Shepherd
JDBraddy
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Konus spotting scope quality and opinions

Post by JDBraddy »

I have one, it's quite usable, but no where near the quality of the old Kowa TSN77 that I used to have. The tripod and case are junk though, you'll need to find a used Freeland or other base and stand. The scope cover from Creedmore or Champions Choice that fit the 80mm Kowa will fit it also, and are a usefull accessory.
ScottShepherd
Unclassified Poster

Post by ScottShepherd »

i plan to use it of small bore mostly but i am going to shoot HP at times also.
i think im gonna get one. im sure its worlds better than the junk i own - bushnell and barska
thank you for your input. exactly what i wanted to know
Scott
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Also in the $300 range, you might want to consider a pair of Celestron 25x 100mm Binoculars. I have been using a pair of the Celestron 20x 80mm binocs for SB silhouette, and have been impressed. Everyone who looks through them has had positive comments. The stereo viewing is a big bonus over single objective spotting scopes.

The 20X models can be had for about $125. The 25x 100mm model sells for more like $300. I haven't looked through the 25x 100 model, but if the 20x80mm model is an indication, they should have excellent optics for the money.

SteveM.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Nothing in the price range can touch the Celestron Regal 65 F-ED spotting scope. It's got a 16-48X eyepiece, 45-degree angle body, and ED glass. It even comes with an adapter for attaching a camera. If you want to use it with a Freeland or other similar scope stand, it also has a rotating mounting ring. They can usually be found for $370 or so with full U.S. lifetime warranty. The only complaints that I've seen are that the included soft case doesn't zip open on both ends or have a hold for a tripod attachment like the case that Kowa makes. To get better glass, you need to step up to a Kowa 65+ mm scope.