Weaver vs Sightron vs Leupold

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Nhunt46051
B Poster
B Poster

Weaver vs Sightron vs Leupold

Post by Nhunt46051 »

I have been doing a lot of research on Scopes and I can't decide what to get. I will be putting it on a Kimber of Oregon 82 and it will be used for Silhoutte, Prone, some bench, and hunting. I want a target dot, adjustable power, and an AO. Target Turrets would be a bonus but not a necessacity. I would really like to get the Leupold EFR 6.5-20 but don't want to shell out $700. I have been looking at the Weaver V series, Sightron SII / SII Big Sky also. These are appealing because they can be had from $300-$450. Also have looked at the Leupold Vari-X II 6-18x, but it falls outside what i would really like to spend. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Weaver vs Sightron vs Leupold

Post by Bob259 »

Go for the Leupold and cry once...
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

With those requirements, I'd go with the Sightron Big Sky SII in a 6-24X with a dot. The extra 4X over the Leupold will be useful for both prone and benchrest, the glass is excellent on the Big Sky series scopes, and the adjustment system on the Sightron is the best in the industry. The silhouette model might have a dot that's just a bit on the big side for benchrest or prone use, as I tend to prefer a 1/8 minute dot for those. If you're trying to make one scope do all of those things, though, I would probably still choose the silhouette model with the 1/4 minute clicks and larget dot. It's not on Sightron's current rebate list.

Sightron SIIB62442SIL
http://sightron.com/index.php?action=vi ... d=15&id=33

If you would prefer the model with 1/8 minute clicks and smaller dot, you can also get a $75 rebate on it.

Sightron SIIB62442D
http://sightron.com/index.php?action=vi ... d=15&id=36

There are lots of places to get the Sightron scopes, but I would probably check with Chicken George, a sponsor on this site, for a price before I bought elsewhere. There have been several on here lately who found the best price through him.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I totally agree with Jason! While the Leupolds are the cat's meow, I would actually rate the the SII BigSky over any of the Weaver models currently being produced. I saw a nice difference between the clarity of my Sightron SII BigSky 6-24x and a weaver t24 a friend of mine has. Plus, if you just starting out the variable power will be a plus for you.
Baby Huey
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Are silhouette competitors creatures of habit? I ask this question because of discussions on Leupold within the crowds of other shooting sports. It seems that Leupold isn't holding up to their history as being a top scope maker. Everyone is switching to other brands and quite often the Leupold line up is regarded as over priced and sub-par on quality. They are still highly regarded for their customer service which I can attest to. The scopes I have sent in for upgrades or repair have always come back with great service.

Do we as a silhouette community just continue to hold Leupold to a higher standard even though they may have fallen behind other manufactures? I like all my Leupolds, but I recently bought a Sightron and I am very happy with it.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

From those that ask a lot of $$$ for their product, a lot will and should be expected by the buyer.

I know I sound like a Bushnell Rep. but I swear by them for the money you can't beat the glass, repeatability and overall quality of the 4200 Elites. As of now I use them on all my rifles in the 8-32x flavor and slip on a Bulzeyepro Booster for a little more bump up in mag. Only problem is the 32x doesn't come with a Dot so you have to get TK Lee to install one but still saves hundreds off a Leupold even after the upgrade is paid.

I've still got a 6-24x 4200 with the 1/4" Dot and fine crosshairs I want to sell since upgrading everything to 8-32 Bushies. It is like new with everything in the box. That would be a good choice for the multiple shooting styles you plan to use the rifle. Small enough dot with smaller 1/8" clicks for more precision.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Nhunt46051
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Nhunt46051 »

I have not considered a Bushnell, sounds like I should. Make this search even more complicated. Dee PM me a price for your Bushnell I am interested.

Thanks for all the info, there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.
ricchap
Unclassified Poster

Post by ricchap »

Today I just shot my Anschutz 1712 with a Leupold FX-3 25x40, and right after that I shot my 54.18 MSR with a new Sightron Big Sky Silhouette 6-24x42. The glass on the Sightron was definitely better. Felt like somebody had turned on the lights. My Weaver V24 is a nice scope for the money but it does not have enough elevation adjustments with my current rings. It runs short at 100 meters. It also has the 1/8 clicks which sucks at silhouette. Just too many clicks going back from rams to chickens. I advice to get 1/4 clicks unless you plan to do some benchrest shooting competition.