Leupold 24X

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Leupold 24X

Post by GTKF »

Just picked up a 24X. I think it was a varmint model the previous owner had Leupold convert to target turrets. I was wondering if someone might help me confirm this? I understand Leupold made a 24X varmint, a 24X BR and a 24X BR-D. Not sure if there were other 24X models.

Can someone differentiate the models and help me identify this one? It has 2 narrow gold rings on the AO ring. Yardage indications for 50, 100, 200 400 and infinity. An overall length of 15" (with the eyepiece all the way in)

Thanks

Ken
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

Hi Ken
24 BR and 24 BR-D, have 24 BR/BRD printed in the gold ring, also the BR range has many turns to Focus.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Thanks Limey

Mine has less than one turn to focus the objective. Based on this I assume mine was originally a varmint that had target turrets added. Are there any other differences between the scopes?

Ken
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Thanks Limey

Mine has less than one turn to focus the objective. Based on this I assume mine was originally a varmint that had target turrets added. Are there any other differences between the scopes?

BTW missed you at Delran last week. Only 7 of us fools were out there freezing

Ken
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

GTKF, Yea I know, I'm was working, been working 7 days a week for the past month, This month to. May see you next time, if it's not too cold...LOL.
All I have to do is fogger out who you are. Did i just email you?
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I just started silhouette this year. Been going to Delran, Square Circle and Jackson with Ray & Steve Macula from Staten Island, and Jim Marcantonio

Ken

Post by Guest »

Just read this post for the first time, I have three of your "varmint" scopes. Leo made em about 25-30 years ago, they're the predessesors to the "BR" series and the "BR-D". I was told they were designated "M8" and Leo was still making them (though updated a bit) in 3.5X or 6X I forget which not too long ago. May even still be available?
Great feature is the fact that one can set the paralax and shoot 200-500 without a lot of fussyness, except for a tweek on chickens, it's common to shoot all day without giving it a thought. The're also light at app 16oz.
Tracking has been good on all mine, course banging them 3-4000 rds a year has sent them all back for repairs at least once through the years.
A word of advice, caution, or passed along wisdom if you will from the Leo people themselves: if what you have is indeed an old M8 as you describe, in front of the turrets about an inch or so on the bottom of the scope will be a dimple of about a 1/16". For reliable tracking,,,make sure your front ring is not directly ON that dimple!!! Those old units have a front erector system as opposed to the newer rear systems. Clamp it down and I assure you it can drive you nuts. They came from the factory with target turrets.
Carroll
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Carrol

Thanks for all the info and the history. I just checked the dimple and I'm OK