Sightron scope opportunity - opinions?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
91er
Unclassified Poster

Sightron scope opportunity - opinions?

Post by 91er »

Hi all,

Long time lurker here - 1st post. Thanks to everyone here who has provided me much insight so far. I'm wondering if I could get an opinion?

I'm looking for a decent optic to shoot rimfire silhouette this year. I shot a Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5 a little last year but that one's found a new home atop an AR-15. I found a Sightron SII 24x44 D (pre Big Sky) that comes with a sunshade and some kind of rings for $250. The rifle I'm putting it on is TBD. I'm a novice silhouette shooter. Do you think I'd be happy with that scope at that price? From everything I can see it's a pretty sweet deal. Thanks much...
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Sightron scope opportunity - opinions?

Post by Trent »

I would be quite happy with that.
91er
Unclassified Poster

Post by 91er »

I passed. I looked at it and, while I'm no scope expert, the eye relief seemed extremely unforgiving to the point that I could scarcely see anything but a pea-sized field of view through the middle of the thing. I don't know if something was jerked-up, I was jerked up, or whatever. I could get a sight picture but if I moved back or forward what seemed like a fraction of an inch it was GONE! That warm and fuzzy feeling...I just didn't have it. :-?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

What you observed is lack of exit pupil. At 24x your eye needs to look thru a 1.7mm hole to get a full sight picture. It doesn't leave your knoggin much wiggle room!
- Joe
91er
Unclassified Poster

Post by 91er »

Thanks edgehit. I took Chicken George's advice and searched around for a Weaver KT-15. I managed to find one on Craigslist locally for $150 NIB! Shiny and never been mounted. In the price range I'm at right now I think this is about as good as I can do. What's that thing really worth?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Kt-15s are a deal at $150. I bought 2 at that price and they haven't let me down. They focus close to 10 yds and have 1/4' clicks with adjustable turrets. What's not to like about them?
- Joe