Leupold 50ft adapter

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

Leupold 50ft adapter

Post by fwt1712 »

Has anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using one on a FX25 and was wondering if they will they focus any closer than 50ft for indoor practice?

To date I have used EFRs and like the 10m focus range for dry practice at home, but am interested in going to a bit more magnification.

regards,
Nigel.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Leupold 50ft adapter

Post by BCloninger »

On an FXIII-25x40 it worked great out to about 30 meters, but then wouldn't focus any further. I had wanted to use one for air rifle, but that was awkward.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

It sounds like fwt1712 might actually mean putting it on to use for indoor practice and then taking it off to use in matches, Bob. :mrgreen:

Fwt1712, I've used them on a couple different scopes and they seemed to allow slightly different minimum ranges with each scope. I don't remember the minimum distance on the FXIII 30x scope was, and that's the only time I've tried it on one of the FXIII silhouette scopes. That scope was one of the first ones that would just barely focus down to chickens at 40 meters at some ranges and wouldn't quite do it at others, so might not be relevant here since Leupold has set them to focus a bit closer since then.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Yes, I use them a lot in the winter at 50'. I don't have any new Leupold scopes. Mine are all older VXII and VXIII's. Some focus a little closer than 50' and some are barely OK at 50'---but could be my eye as I don't have the best vision. I have one that will focus to 10 meters out of about six scopes and it's a 3x9 VXII---circa around 1975.
I tried one a new Luepold and the threads don't quite match up. I believe someone on this site---maybe Bob McAlice had some adapters at one time.
I screwed the 50' adapter in enough to make it tight on the new Leupold but it made me cringe a bit and used it at 50', but didn't try it closer.
FWIW, I have a Burris 6x24 and a sunshade off of another scope that have close to a slip fit---the sunshade over the AO bell. The Leupold 50' adapter will fit inside the sunshade and is kept there by a rim on the end with a little electric tape for a friction fit to keep the adapter secure. I put two narrow O rings on the AO bell and slip the sunshade over it. Fits great and it will focus to a couple of feet. You could do the same if you are handy with aluminum tubing probably on any make of scope with an AO and make it work. Plus the location of the adapter in the tube allows for focus at different ranges, so I'm pretty sure you get it to focus as close as you want if you played around with the location.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

There are two types of 50 foot adapters. The optics are the same, but the thread is different to fit the thread on the scope. To get closer to say 10 meters, you can gang two 50 foot adapters together. With the old style thread, just use two "old thread" models. With a newer thread model to have to use the new thread unit to the new scope, and then the second adapter must be the old thread. So old 50 foot adapters have the same thread on both sides, and the new adapters have new thread on the scope side, and the end is threaded for the old school thread. Silly.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I got an adapter for my fixed 25X Leupold (new model) and it focuses quite readily to less than 50'.

topclass
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

This is where my Bushnell 4200's have always been great in that they focus down to 10 yards. I just ordered my first Leupold FX3 because the 4200 is to heavy for my HP rifle but I can dry fire the FX3 on animals set out in my yard at least from inside the house so no big deal with the short focus for me of the FX3. The adapters work to varying degrees as mentioned but none of them will get you close to 10 yards in focus. More like 20y at best. Not sure if you already have the scope you want to adapt yet or not but if you have the weight room for a 4200 on your rifle they are fine scopes for less $$. You can get TK Lee to put in a dot and still have money left over, just something to consider as well.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!