Rex Optics USA : Has anyone tried these scopes

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
redk75
Unclassified Poster

Rex Optics USA : Has anyone tried these scopes

Post by redk75 »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum (but not smallbore silhouette),so I apologize in advance if I'm "replowing" topics that have already been covered. This is a great site and I'm happy to have found it. My hat is off to those who make this possible!

Only recently, did I "reactivate" my desire to shoot smallbore silhouette again. Along with putting together a rig, I need to scope up. I've got a drawer full (literally) of high mag scopes but none that really meet the needs for smallbore silhouette. And, always on the lookout for a good deal, I thought it would be interesting to shake out a new scope.

At the SHOT Show, last month, I stumbled across REX OPTICS, USA (rexoptics.com) and was impressed with the scopes they had on display. Time and conditions didn't give me much opportunity to really determine whether this was a good scope, but it seemed to have all the right stuff: magnification, smooth controls, clarity (as well as you can tell with a hand held scope indoors), and reticles....lots of reticles. Their prices look reasonable enough, too, which always makes one suspicious when dealing with scopes, of course.

I didn't realize when I was there that they had so many models. Each power range can be had in 1" or 30mm tube; AO or sidewheel; 50 or 56mm objective, etc. Nor did I ask which reticles are available in which models. Their printed catalog provides no more information than their website, so I'll phone them and see what's cooking with all these models and reticles and see if I can score something that might work.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has direct experience with these scopes or anyone who looked at them at SHOT Show or elsewhere and has some comments - good or bad. Two big looming question with new scope manufacturers are: "if it breaks, can I get it repaired?" and "will you be here tomorrow?".

Regards,

/Emil
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I don't think I've ever heard of them. You don't mention specific prices here, so it's hard to compare what they might have available versus what is available from other manufacturers. Be very careful with weight on those scopes. It sounds like they have a lot of options, but every ounce counts in silhouette, especially on a hunter rifle. Throw a little more info in here and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Also keep in mind that Leupold has just brought out two new scopes that seem to be designed just for silhouette shooting. They are straight-power 25x and 30x, with either a 3/8 or 1/2 minute dot, and weigh right at a pound or just barely less. The street price on them should about $500, I think.
redk75
Unclassified Poster

Post by redk75 »

Jason,

Thnx for your reply. I appreciate the input. I was aware that Leupold is comng out with new scopes but have not seen the specs. Do they go from min to max focus in one turn or less? The Leupold kiosk was swamped with people at SHOT Show, so I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone there.

The Rex scopes are in the $200-$400 slot. And, as you said, might be heavy given sidewheels and illuminated reticles. I listed the website (www.rexoptics.com) so readers could look at the scope specs, prices, etc. While these are made in China, the quality seemed pretty good. Of course these were display scopes and I don't know what production scopes might be like. I've seen the Chinese manufacturers respond to the need to provide quality in other areas of manufacture. Maybe this will be a breakthrough. However, an optics company would have to go a long way to get near the quality of Leupold glass!

I'll post any additional information I come up with.

Thnx again,

/Emil
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

redk75,

In that price range weaver, bushnell and sightron are building some great scopes.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg