Setting up a scope

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Shooter2012
B Poster
B Poster

Setting up a scope

Post by Shooter2012 »

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I was given a scope from a friend because the numbers are messed up in it.

I'm used to the 3-9 scope were you unscrew the caps and get a screwdriver to crank it up/down or left/right.

Im not sure if you set the scope on the zeros and adjust something else or just use the dials and your zero may be different numbers.

(when I used his scope zero on the scope was zero and the numbers went up from there)

I just don't see anythig on the scope and am in unfamiliar territory.

If someone vould give me a run down thatwould be great.

Thanks
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Setting up a scope

Post by Trent »

What brand/model?

Generally you would sight in your rifle at what ever distance you plan on shooting. Once you have it sighted in (or "zeroed") you would then adjust the scope knob to "0" by either loosening the knob and rotating it back to zero and then tighten it back down. Some scopes have screws to do this and others have a built in system that allows you to pull up on the knob and rotate it back to zero and then push it back down to lock it in place.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Shooter,
It will be a little difficult for any of us to help you with exact information until you give specific brand, model and some other descriptors, but I'll take a shot!

As you know, we adjust our scope for each animal distance - so that the shooter (in this case named Shooter) can be certain that when he/she puts their scope on the setting for chickens (regardless of the number shown on the turret), the bullet will impact at the cross hairs or dot - ie the central aiming feature in the reticle. These specific numbers will vary depending on the scope, the way the manufacturer numbered each click on the rotation, the height mounted above the rifle bore, the ammo used and the specific distances the animals are set at each range (yes, there is some slight variation between ranges).

In general, scopes have the best repeatablility in their movements when they are in the middle of their adjustment ranges for both elevation and windage. We all try to find that center and mount the scope to maintain that center for our distances of 40 meters to 100 meters. Sometimes that may include placing a shim under the rear of the scope in the rear scope ring - maybe use a piece cut from your favorite beverage aluminum can. Anyway, start by running the elevation all the way down, then counting how many revolutions it takes to go fully in the UP direction. Then go half-way back down. Repeat for windage. Now your scope should be about the middle. Mount it into the rings (try it first w/o beer can shim). I'm assuming you know how to do that since you had a 3-9 mounted and used already.

When you get to the range sight in (some people call it "get your zero") at the Chicken distance. Write this number down - it really doesn't matter what the number is, just that you remember it! Most of us will then undo our elevation turret without making it "click" - how to do this depends on the brand/model - and set the turret to "0". Replace your old Chicken setting number with 0 - if you reset you turret. I suggest that you stay at chickens, then adjust your elevation in the UP direction (should be marked on your scope - if not don't worry, just remember which way you rotated it) 5 minutes. How many clicks/numbers that is again depends on your brand/model scope - but it should be 5 numbers higher/larger than your chicken setting. Now fire a few shots at your original aiming point. That should put shots approximately 2"-2.25" above your original aiming point. This height may vary due to the ammo used - the important points are:
UP did indeed move the Point of Impact (POI) "UP" - and everything seemed to go the right amount. Now, still at chickens go back Down the same 5 minutes, shoot a few shots to confirm your scope is repeatable. This all may sound funny, but in addition to learning about your scope it verifys function/operation and instills within your mind confidence in your equipment.

Now move your sigh-in target to Pig distance and determine your setting for pigs - we don't tend to call this "zeroing" your rifle because the number may not/will not be "0" - but that is ineffect what we are really doing. After all, when someone says "I'm gonna zero my rifle" that means finding the setting (elevation and windage) that make the Point of Aim (POA) coincide with the POI FOR A GIVEN DISTANCE. We have 4 distances, therefore 4 settings. To set to Pigs adjust your scope up about 2 minutes above Chicken setting and see how that works. Adjust your setting up/down to work for your rifle/scope/ammo. Pigs at 60 meters migh show some windage variation over chickens, so if needed - not due to wind, shooter error, ammo dispersion, etc - make your windage adjustments as well. No real need to write down windage numbers - we don't usually change during a match, just elevation. Did I say record the Pig setting?

Move to Turkeys and find that setting - should be about 2 - 2.5 minutes above the pig setting. Record final setting
Move to Rams and find that setting. Bullet is really losing speed getting this far out, so the setting could be about 5 minutes above turkeys. If the lighting is just right, you may be able to see the bullet (or the atmospheric disturbance it creates) lob out to the ram target. It may seem like you will "miss high" but the bullets flight is an arched trajectory that will/should hit at the POA, right?

Just for fun, now that you have written down the settings for each animal - you have written them down, right - pick an animal/distance, adjust your scope to that setting number (BE CAREFUL ABOUT UP/DOWN) then shoot a few shots at that distance. How did it do? Well, I hope!!!

I write my settings down something like this:
C / P / T / R
0 1.75 3.5 7.5

Hope this helps more than hurts. Good luck and good shooting. Hope to see you at a match some day. If you are ever in Western North Carolina there are matches on the 1st and 2nd Saturday at different ranges nearby - look us up!!!

ShootingStar
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

A lot of the coin top turrets on scopes do not allow for changing the zero setting on the knob. As mentioned this is ok so long as you remember what your number is for your zero.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Shooter2012
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shooter2012 »

Thanks guys, it's all figured out.