Preventing ring marks when mounting scopes

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Preventing ring marks when mounting scopes

Post by Trent »

jjp wrote:I'm going to go give them away right now.
Let me send you my address. :mrgreen:
austin870
B Poster
B Poster

Post by austin870 »

I think it is simply common sense to remove any sharp edges etc on the rings first but it is often overlooked.

The best thing I have found is coat the inside of the rings "lightly" with contact cement. This gives a rubber barrier to stop metal to metal contact and also keeps the scope from moving in the rings which usually causes most of the ring marks. The coating is thinner than any paper, shims etc and stops movement WAY better. It completely molds to any misalignment of the scope and rings rather than splinting it. It is no problem getting the scope back out of the rings and the rubber cement simply rubs off. You can also use alcohol etc.

The Burris posi's work pretty good for rimfire but they are a pain and very expensive.

I learned this from stopping ring marks using magnum springer airguns. Those thing cause massive scope movement.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Metal to metal contact to insure NO movement of scope at all times. Is this common sense??
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Pardon my intrusion in this string. Marks on scopes are a two fold problem. First of all the rings should be lapped in (see sinclair international's kit)...this provides alignment and good contact. The second problem is the use of what I call 'farmer' tightening of the rings...over tighten rings is a plague and distorts the adjustments on the scope. Properly lapped rings and firm screw tension and you won't have 'marks' ;)