UTG Max Strength Quick detachable rings for rimfire

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

UTG Max Strength Quick detachable rings for rimfire

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

I was looking at several sets of rings for a CZ 455 build and came across the UTG “Max Strength” detachable rings. I know they are not Burris, Leopold, or Badger Ordinance, but I though they wouold still be worth a try.

http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mite ... track=12m7

They had the “tacticool look” I was going for (matte finish, choice of 4 or 6 mounting screws each, a solid appearance) they were priced very reasonably, (around $20.00 for two) plus they detach with a turn of a lever, giving the option of removing the optic for storage / transport or to swap out with a different optic. They are available in several heights and 1” & 30mm tube dimensions. Depending on the height, there is a cut out area providing a see through option, though on a 1 piece picatinny or Weaver base rail may be too high to see the iron sights.

They arrived in a nice package and included an Allen wrench, an extra mounting screw, and well illustrated color instructions. Though packaging should not be a real consideration, they did a good job of “dressing them up”.

I had gotten the medium height 30mm 6 screw Quick detachable (lever) version. Mounted upon a 20 MOA 1 piece base and using a 56mm objective and lens cover, there was just enough clearance with the barrel. It’s my guess that low height will be fine for 50 mm and below with the base. The construction is aluminum, and they are very weighty. The inside of the ring sports a gasket like material glued in which tend to help with the optic slipping and doesn’t mark up the finish on the optic. After mounting several different scopes, the finish of the optics were not harmed.

Once applied on the picatinny scope base (will also work on a weaver base) there is some adjustment required so that the levers can be put into the “locked” position and not being to loose when engaged. I found the clamping to be quite solid, and using a ring alignment tool, the alignment between the two rings to be spot on.

I do not have a contricity gauge, so I cannot confirm the “roundness” of the ring. However after looking at the several optics that I had mounted, it appeared no damage or marring was evident.

Once the optic was zeroed in at 50 yards, I removed the ring / scope combo, then put it back on. The POI remained the same. I did the same at 100 and 200 yards where a little deviation produces big results, the POI remained the same.

Although I can’t vouch for a centerfire application, for rimfire use these rings seem to be functional and good looking, at a price that’s manageable.

They seem to also be able to work out fine on my Savage MKII that is pulling double duty. For most things I'm hooked on mildots, but for my smallbore silhouette pursuits love a target dot. A simple "throwing" of the 2 levers, remove the one scope, replace with the other zeroed for the different application with no effect on the point of impact.
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: UTG Max Strength Quick detachable rings for rimfire

Post by Jason »

How much weight is "weighty" described above? They look to be really heavy.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

i actually should have weighed them, but didn't.

i can't find a weight on them anywhere online or on the box, but can say that if you've ever had burris steel zee rings, these are heavier than them. i you have a rifle that's just below weight for hunting or standard, these will probably put you over.

using the Polish weight estimation system :) , if you where to accidentally drop them on your toe, you'd be feeling it the rest of the day and be uncomfortable in a shoe the next day.

for aluminum, they do have some girth, especially the 6 mounting bolt version, there is a 4 bolt version which would have less size and weight.

i'm actually pretty impressed with them for a "cheap set" of rings.
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Walt, Looking on line I see the 'Shipping Weight' (which probably includes the packaging) shows as following: 4 screw - 6.4 ounces and the 6 screw - 7.2 ounces
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)