24X Fixed Scope vs 6-24

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

24X Fixed Scope vs 6-24

Post by teetertotter »

Will I have more Brightness with a 24X fixed scope than with my current 6-24 Sightron SIL at full 24X power?
Our Silhouette Range has tall pine trees lined both sides and back. In the evenings, it be comes more difficult at 24X with my current scope. I did not take this into consideration when I bought my Sightron last December from Chicken George. Any input will be appreciated.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 24X Fixed Scope vs 6-24

Post by boats »

It depends, all things equal variables rob resolition and brightness. However same power a good variable will outshine a not so good fixed power. High power is the way to go but best of them at 24 x are going to have trouble on a dark day. Wintertime light goes away early very few target scopes are going to deal with it well.

We run our Regulation smallbore Silhouette in the morning iron sight swinger matches in the afternoon. I have caught up with and passed other shooters more than once on a wide open Merrit disk when the light failed at 4:30. Particulary the shoot off's end of the match. If thats the case at your matches might try cranking that 24 down see if it makes any difference.

Boats
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Assuming equal quality optics, a larger objective lens will gather more light. Hopefully, I'll finally get to experiment with a Sightron SIII20x42MMD that seems to be very bright. The primary differences between this scope and yours are fixed vs variable, 30mm main tube vs 1", and 20x vs 24x; any or all of these could be key.

The primary reasons I got this scope were the larger knobs that are easier to read without prescription glasses, and the lower magnification would show less movement - not light gathering - but that could be a bonus in the fall and spring.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Thank you. This confirms the fact that my 6-24 Sightron SIL is the perfect scope for the conditions at our range by having to turn down the power in very low light conditions. This is what I have been having to do the past couple of weeks to around 18X to obtain the eye relief I need. Our matches end in 2 more weeks and which start at 5:15 and end around 6:30 with 2 guns or 80 rounds. Our club is situated in a forest to best explain with clearing for all our disciplines. Also, Chicken George said my variable scope is best for our particular range conditions. I just needed everyone's confirmation and makes sense and will live with it as day light becomes dimmer.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
North of 60
B Poster
B Poster

Post by North of 60 »

The main thing that will make a difference isn't the magnification, it is the size of the optics.
That is - a 24X 50 will be brighter than a 24X 40.
Same concept applies to binoculars (aka "field glasses"). A 7 X 50 has the same magnification but is brighter than a 7 X 35 set of binos.

There is some difference with different coatings and the number of actual lenses or lens groups, but that is pretty minimal.

Chris in Inuvik ---> Where I get to shoot with no sun for 30 days every year. Of course, I also get to shoot 24 hours a day for 60 days every year.
Sometimes, your "knight in shining armour" is just a retard in tinfoil.
austin870
B Poster
B Poster

Post by austin870 »

All things being equal variables are only good if you need to bounce around with power. After that they go downhill fast. You get way more scope for the dollar with a fixed scope and as close to perfect tracking as is attainable. Like most anything that is variable... instead of doing one thing best it stretches to do many thing pretty good. It is a matter of which "challenge" your eyes and shooting ability work best with. Brightness is only one part of the equation.