Large Dot Reticles for Silhouette

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Large Dot Reticles for Silhouette

Post by KidCulpepper »

I have been shooting silhouette for about a year now and have discovered that pretty much everyone is using scopes with large to extra large dot reticles. I too have been doing this for the most part since I was told from the very beginning that this is the type of reticle that I would want for this game. However, recently, I ended up mounting a scope with fine crosshairs (no dot) on my SB rifle as a "temporary" measure and shot it several times in that configuration. To my surprise, I found that I think I like it as it seems to allow me to see the spot on the animal that I am aiming for much more readily without the distraction of the big black ball getting in the way and tending to draw my focus away from the target. So, I am wondering 1) should I be looking at the target or the reticle, and 2) what is the theory behind using large dots and/or 3) why does everyone seem to prefer them?

Thanks,
Stephen
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Large Dot Reticles for Silhouette

Post by Dee »

Some people prefer a larger dot just as a personal preference. I don't like anything over 3/8" myself. Most of all I like the dot because it is distinctive and doesn't cloud the sight picture. I like to think of the dot as the hit mark I have yet to put on the animal or in wind where I want the shot to go in relation to the animal. I shoot some crosshair scopes as well but that is just because I still need to send them off to have dots installed :lol: I find with the crosshairs it isn't to bad and I grew up shooting regular plex rets but it does seem to make my mind lose a bit more focus on the target because the fine hairs just don't jump out as well to my eye when they are where I want them to be on the target.

If you have established a solid position the dot should be floating in the general area of the target you are aiming for. So while setting up for the shot pay attention to the reticle to get your NPAs all set. Then when you switch to actually executing the shot you want to focus on the spot on the target you want the dot on. This is where practice comes in so that your mind is ready to break the shot as soon as the dot appears where you are focused. If you go back and forth between looking at the ret and the target it is very hard to make a good shot.

The dot to me is just out there floating and the smaller I make my hold on the spot I am aiming for the more opportunities I will have to get the dot there and make the shot. The key is having the gun go off when the sight picture is what you want without actually looking at the ret or having to think OK pull the trigger......... NOW. By the time you think OH look there it is right where I want it is gone. So you have to train your subconscious reaction to what your eye is seeing to trigger the shot when it is there. I never actually think about pulling the trigger and if I do I instantly jerk and pull the shot. Your mind will learn to make the shot break when the sight picture is good enough in relation to your ideal breaking spot you wished to make the shot on.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KidCulpepper »

Thanks, Dee! I agree that the focusing back and forth between reticle and target makes it hard to make a good shot. I guess that is at least part of the reason for asking the questions. Maybe it has something to do with shooting iron sights at round targets for such a long time (I did not grow up shooting scopes) that makes the dot draw my eye back to it or maybe it is just that I need a smaller dot? (I currently have two scopes with 1/2 min dots).

Another interesting aspect of this whole discussion is that the 1/2 min dot seems less distracting at closer distances - so not really as much of a problem for me on chickens since the dot appears smaller in size relative to the animal than it does on rams for instance. I also find that it is usually much more difficult to see rams well enough to pick an old bullet mark or paint flake as an aiming point, which may also contribute to my tendency to look back at the dot. Can you see the rams well enough to see this kind of detail? Do you "imagine" a spot where you want to hit the ram?

Stephen
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I can see the small detail in Smallbore and Air Rifle targets but HP starts to be difficult to pick out a particular markings due to mirage. When you shoot at 36x it is easier to see the details of the face of the animal. If my spotter can see it to call it out at 27x I should see it no problem. Some days though the conditions with the light and clouds makes for a more generalized area of call as do days when the conditions are laying down pretty much. When the wind is down it opens up that area a bit to break the shot in.

Time to pack for Tejas and hit the door...

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

Stephen,

I find the target dots distracting so I went to a fine duplex. The thicker outer cross hair helps frame the animal but I also shoot at lower magnification.

J~