opinion on a new scope

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Mr. Aircooled
B Poster
B Poster

opinion on a new scope

Post by Mr. Aircooled »

Im getting a new scope and want something fixed power, the two models i am looking at are a older leupold 24x br and a weaver t-36. My main concern is would 36 power be to high, and how is weavers service if something were to go wrong with the scope. The scope is going on a standard class sb rifle.

As for rings im going to use warne permanent attach
Short bus Rod & Gun club
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: opinion on a new scope

Post by BCloninger »

Get the Leupold! Better glass and a lifetime warranty they actually honor, plus, if you want to change the reticle they can do that for you at a reasonable charge.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Mr. Aircooled wrote:Im getting a new scope and want something fixed power, the two models i am looking at are a older leupold 24x br and a weaver t-36. My main concern is would 36 power be to high, and how is weavers service if something were to go wrong with the scope. The scope is going on a standard class sb rifle.

As for rings im going to use warne permanent attach
My experience with the repeatability of each has been positive.
The question I would ask is: What is your experience with shooting offhand at 36X? If you don't have experience shooting at this power, but are willing to spend some serious time shooting and/or doing drills then you will eventually adapt. Otherwise I would go with the 24X.

I asked a guy once why he shot a (very expensive) 40-something power converted Leupold. With a straight face he said: "Cause they don't make a 50X." =)) To each his own.....
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I had a BR and it is a pain in the ass to focus in smallbore. I never did figure it out.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

The Leupold would be a great choice....it should have 1/4 min clicks the Weaver will have 1/8 min clicks...big deal in silhouette...Leupold gold ring scopes carry a lifetime warranty, the Weaver I am unsure of...also Leupold glass tends to be a good deal brighter than the Weaver...both have excellent tracking systems....just my opinion FWIW...Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

What would you consider the highest magnification you can hold well right now? 24x to 36x is a big jump if you don't have a pretty solid position already established. As for which scope they are both good with the glass IMO being better in Leupolds. If you are good with 24x I would consider a Bushnell 4200 with the Dot. You can find them used for $375 or so and you give up nothing in glass quality or repeatability, plus you can turn it down if you want to work your way up but consider they do add more weight if that is already an issue.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Would add, again FWIW and not to get off topic, but rather to offer an observation.....I have observed some very solid master class scores shot with a fixed 10 power scope.

As Dee commented it is good to be able to turn the scope down in a shooter's earlier experience...as a shooter establishes a solid hold and a predictable wobble area the higher power scope gives that shooter a better visual on the target, allowing him or her to pick out spots to shoot on the animal and allowing that shooter to progress to the next level....adding weight is a distinct disadvantage to the vari power scopes....weight added above the boreline seems to have a greater impact on steadiness than weight added below...Again, YMMV.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Definitely get the Leupold if you can find one with 1/2 min dot and 1/4" clicks. I scrounged up 3 and they're solid. I've had a weaver and it tracked well plus focused closer. Their downside is image quality.

Another option to consider is Sightrons 6-24x big sky silhouette model. It's the best of all worlds. Leupold quality image, variable power, 1/2' min dot, and 1/4' clicks. Plus it focuses at 10 yds. I bought one a couple years ago and have no regrets.
- Joe
Mr. Aircooled
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mr. Aircooled »

I bought the leupold for $399 it has 1/4 adjustments but i am unshure what size dot it is but its tiny, looks smaller than 1/8th barely distinguishable from the crosshairs but its there.

would these rings work on a cz452 style the dove tail cut out look taller than most 11mm rings
http://www.pmatool.com/product_info.php/products_id/301
Short bus Rod & Gun club
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

They are a tall ring but should work depending on your body build and the style stock you have for your CZ. As for the scope Leupy will change the reticle for a nominal fee, used to be 60 but is likely to have gone up.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Mr. Aircooled
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mr. Aircooled »

im 6'1" and was looking for a taller ring.

Gonna try them and report back on how well they fit and the quallity.
Short bus Rod & Gun club
jrebelo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jrebelo »

edgehit wrote:Definitely get the Leupold if you can find one with 1/2 min dot and 1/4" clicks. I scrounged up 3 and they're solid. I've had a weaver and it tracked well plus focused closer. Their downside is image quality.

Another option to consider is Sightrons 6-24x big sky silhouette model. It's the best of all worlds. Leupold quality image, variable power, 1/2' min dot, and 1/4' clicks. Plus it focuses at 10 yds. I bought one a couple years ago and have no regrets.
I recently upgraded to a Sightron 6.5-20x50 scope and am definitely happy with the purchase. I own Leupold and Bushnell Elite scopes already and the Sightron optics are as good as or better than any I've used so far. Lifetime warranty, great optics and cheaper price than the Leupold are what motivated my purchase and I am happy with it for sure. The LRMOA reticle was quite lauded by people in reviews I read (and the dealer who helped me with the purchase) but for my own personal tastes it's just fine. For silhouette shooting a simple duplex or dot seems quite adequate to me. But I also only shoot at 10x or 12x magnification as well.
Justin - Vancouver Island, Canada
SB: CZ 455 American
HP: Ruger M77 Mk2 .308