How close is too close?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

How close is too close?

Post by Tancred »

I only have about 3 MOA of vertical adjustment beyond my Ram setting. Should I be concerned about consistency?
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: How close is too close?

Post by Trent »

I would think you'd be ok most days. Depends on if you travel to matches around the country too though. I've had as much as two MOA of difference from one range to another. Also, how much windage do you have with the elevation nearly topped out? Might want to check that too. Once you get a scope up near it's extremes it can also limit the other adjustment.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Trent wrote:I would think you'd be ok most days. Depends on if you travel to matches around the country too though. I've had as much as two MOA of difference from one range to another. Also, how much windage do you have with the elevation nearly topped out? Might want to check that too.

Once you get a scope up near it's extremes it can also limit the other adjustment.
Specially in cold weather. I learned this lesson the hard way and because of that I use a collimator every time I mount a scope to make sure they are near the middle of the adjustments.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I think I would test it and also consider using rings or shims to center it up. If you haven’t done it, I would shoot it on paper to make sure you actually have 3 MOA of adjustment and also run the test where you shoot four corner groups to see if it is actually adjusting as the turrets indicate, or use a collimator on it. Reason I say this is because I’ve had scopes when adjusted near the max elevation or windage the turret would turn, but it wasn’t moving the reticle, or the windage moved in conjunction with the elevation or vice versa. It seems like the majority of problems I’ve had with scopes occurred when I had to adjust them near the outer limits of their adjustments, so I try to avoid setting them up that way.

Jon in Wyoming
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fwt1712 »

I would definitely be either getting some shims or a tapered base. I ran into real troubles with an efr that was that close to the top of its adjustment range. It held ok for a while but ended up being quite erratic, you are much better off if you can get the adjustments closer to the middle of the range. I dont know if being close to the bottom is a problem but at the top seems like there is not enough spring tension to hold the adjustments securely.
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

Thanks for the info. I'll be getting BKL Risers this week that will allow me to add another shim to the rear. That should put me in the middle of adjustment.
oldrifleman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by oldrifleman »

OK, I was following the conversation until the end and then I lost it. Why are risers needed to add a shim to the rings? If I understand the principal, people are adding a couple of Aluminum strips under the scope at the rear mount to gain adjustment at distance. That part I get, but why are the risers needed? Steven
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

My 6.5-20 EFR was close to the max elevation adjustment too. I bought a set of Burris Signature rings with a set of offset bushings to add some elevation adjustment.
Tancred
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tancred »

To answer Oldrifleman's question, the gun I'm using is a CZ with a rear sight. I've removed the sight itself, but the rest is part of the barrel. My scope is so close to the sight that adding two shims butts the scope against the rear sight. Adding risers is the cheapest solution.
oldrifleman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by oldrifleman »

Now I understand, sorry to be dense :D Steven
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Raising the entire scope is not going to do anything to help the problem of running out of adjustment. The back of the scope does need to be raised either with a tapered base or shims.
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

Jerry G wrote:Raising the entire scope is not going to do anything to help the problem of running out of adjustment. The back of the scope does need to be raised either with a tapered base or shims.
... or a set of Burris Signature rings with offset bushings. They are simple and easy to use.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I vote for Burris Signature rings if you can tolerate the weight from steel rings. Those offset inserts work magic.
- Joe