My Scope Self-destructed

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
steelisreal
Unclassified Poster

My Scope Self-destructed

Post by steelisreal »

Just curious...has anyone ever had a scope lens break while shooting? If so, did the manufacturer cover it under warranty?

During my last HP Silhouette match one of the front lenses in my scope shattered while shooting. It wasn't the forward-most lens, but the second one in. Anyway, it's a cheap scope (Bushnell Banner), but all I had. Afterwards I packed it up and sent it to Bushnell with a letter explaining the failure. To my surprise, Bushnell sent me a letter saying that a cracked lens was not covered by the scope's Lifetime Warranty. I fail to see how this was not a flaw in the scope because it was not dropped, bumped, or mishandled in any way. Bushnell offered to replace it at a discount price (about the same as what Midway sells them for). Needless to say, I declined their "generous" offer and asked them to send me my old scope back so I can be reminded why I'll no longer buy Bushnell products. I have been planning to upgrade at some point, but it's not in the budget now so I thought I would get this one fixed for now. I have never sent a scope in for repair before and am certainly discouraged by this experience.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: My Scope Self-destructed

Post by Trent »

All the more reason to go with Leupold.

I have a Nikon that has a broken lens in the ocular eye piece. Not a full shatter so I just removed the chips and I use it on a beater hunting gun. It works great and I don't hunt with it in the rain so I don't worry about it fogging up.

That's a bummer about Bushnell not taking care of the problem. Their scopes are kind of... disposable though.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

A long time ago I had a 3.5-10x Leupold fail during a real cold elk hunt. I hit a cow resting off my pack and needed a follow up shot. The view was completely distorted and not usable. I grabbed my wife's .308 with 3-9x Leupold to finish the job. The scope had a rattle when shaking it. Sent it in for repair, been good ever since.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Same lesson most of us have learned: Stick with Leupold, Sightron and Weaver. Leupold may cost more up front, but if it breaks, they will fix it, and because everyone knows this they hold their value, so re-selling them at a decent price is never a problem.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
steelisreal
Unclassified Poster

Post by steelisreal »

I planned on upgrading my scope fairly soon, but haven't got to it yet (I have a Leupold on my Smallbore Silhouette rifle). Anyway, contrary to some of the posters on this site who recommend some of the better Bushnell models, I will definitely stay away from them in the future. I agree with the previous poster about sticking with Leupold, Weaver or Sightron. I guess Bushnell scopes are disposable.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Sorry to hear about your scope breaking. Honestly though how much did this scope cost you to begin with? The Banner line is the low end of scopes from Bushnell and part of their Chinese produced scopes. Comparing a Banner to an Elite 4200 is no comparison at all. You spend the money on higher quality scopes with better warranties and you get a better scope that will be replaced if anything happens to it. Even the high dollar scopes are susceptible to going south now and then. The difference is they will usually get fixed or replaced at no cost.

The old saying is even more true today than ever in that you get what you pay for with optics. If it is a new model under $200 odds are it is from China and not Japan. If it is from China odds are it will be lacking in Quality. That is just the way things are in today's global world.

What kind of warranty did that scope come with? I have 5 of the 8-32x Bushnell 4200 Elites and never had a problem with any of them. They are one of the most popular springer air gun scopes and hold up to a lot more abuse than your typical scope will. Only seen a few people have to send them back for work and all of them were happy with the service they got.

I know people that cuss Leupold's too. Each individuals experience makes them jaded I guess. My Leupold on the HP rifle has been fine so far but it is a $650 scope so I expect that to be the case. Sorry if this experience with Bushnell soured you on their better scopes. Either way you will be breaking out 2-6 times more money for a good scope from any of the scope makers to get what you want that you can depend on being quality made and backed up for damage.

If is says made in China on it I would consider it to be disposable.

Good luck,

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
steelisreal
Unclassified Poster

Post by steelisreal »

I understand that this is a low end/cheap scope, but it did come with a "Lifetime Warranty". If Bushnell is not going to honor the lifetime warranty then it should not have been included (maybe it should have been 1 year, or so). The cost to Bushnell to honor this warranty could not be very much for this cheap Banner scope, and I even paid the shipping BOTH ways (per their requirement). Questionable customer service if you ask me.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Yeah that does sound questionable. Certainly they could have sent you another scope at no charge and not have even felt the expense. I bet someone their deemed the damage to be self inflicted or due to mishandling and that is why they only offered to sell one back. Trust me if I ever have to send back a 4200 and get the same treatment I will be the 1st to come here and dog Bushnell. Hope that never happens. :lol:

Get a Leupold, Weaver or Sightron you will be happy with any of them over the Banner for sure :lol:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!