Leupold Help

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Leupold Help

Post by teetertotter »

I have had my Sightron 6-24X42 SIL since January 2012. I am left handed and left eyed. My left eye vision has deteriorated a lot since late last summer. The fine crosshairs and target dot are only visible in strong daylight and also see dbl crosshairs and dot.
Eye surgery is not an issue...long story short from 2 doctors. Sightron does have any other reticles to replace. I have remounted an old Simons mag 44, 6-20X44 that I was using before purchasing the Sightron, yesterday. The Simons has heavy/pronounced cross hairs that are very visible to me with finer line as meets the center of the scope. The glass is not like Sightrons or Leupolds :)

I have family history of eye problems and am now 70, but look and act 35.

B/4 calling Leupold, I thought I would put my issue out to those that might be in the know in selecting a target dot reticle of more pronounced lines and larger target dot. I am not familiar with the terms that are used for size of Dot...etc. I know going with larger dot has drawbacks, but better than nothing. Perhaps I will have to settle for plain crosshairs of non fine cross hairs with Leupold. From what I am reading, Leupold has a selection of reticles and figure if one does not work, I have options.

Any suggestive input is appreciated. I invision selling the Sightron and put towards a Leupold.
Jon
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Leupold Help

Post by cslcAl »

Jon, Contact George Rhode at Chickens Shooting Supplies. He will have the answers to all your questions, and can assist you with a purchase with a custom dot. He is an advertiser on this site. Just click on his banner at the top of the page. Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I emailed him on Saturday.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

On the reticle, consider either the 3/8's or 1/2 Leupold dot. I like the 3/8's but many other - far better! - shooters prefer the 1/2. You might also consider a custom elevation knob with larger lettering - not the kind of thing I'd ever need, of course. /:)
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If your vision problems are preventing you from using the Sightron, the you will need at least a 1/2 minute dot, possibly larger. Mary uses a 1 minute dot in at least one of her scopes, or did. It seemed a bit too large for my taste, but not unusable, and my vision is decent. Do you have the opportunity to look through other people's scopes at a fairly large match before you buy?
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Jason wrote:If your vision problems are preventing you from using the Sightron, the you will need at least a 1/2 minute dot, possibly larger. Mary uses a 1 minute dot in at least one of her scopes, or did. It seemed a bit too large for my taste, but not unusable, and my vision is decent. Do you have the opportunity to look through other people's scopes at a fairly large match before you buy?
Ya, I will ask some others for looksee, but I won't be here for June's Monthly Saturday match, where we draw about 4 more or 8 total. Perhaps too, some might show for our Thursday matches. The 4 others at our club are 36X fine dots and cross hairs or 6-20 with fine crosshair and small dot.

George did reply today and I replied back with next option of heavy dark line cross hairs in a scope that would also offer several reticles that I could try if one did not work. Warranty issues involved if scope did not go back to mfg for reticle change.
I could try a 6-24 or 6-20 that would have a ! minute, lets say, and if did not work, then try pronounced solid dark cross hairs from same manufacture. This will be work in progress and will call Leupold tech people next week.

In the mean time, will make do with my 90"s, 6-20 Simmons Mag 44 with dark solid line cross hairs that I don't see dbl or not at all. There is no eye fix at this time. Thanks Jason.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Good luck with that. I actually have one of those same 44 Mag 6-20X Simmons scopes with the thick crosshairs and that thing has been wonderful over the past decade and more on all sorts of rifles. :)
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Jason wrote:Good luck with that. I actually have one of those same 44 Mag 6-20X Simmons scopes with the thick crosshairs and that thing has been wonderful over the past decade and more on all sorts of rifles. :)
I had sent it into Bushnell 2 years ago as elevation eventually would not adjust properly and covered under warranty. It was 2 weeks time from time sent to them till I received back.

Okay update: I readjusted or refocused the reticle on the Sightron SIL and that was the solution. Simple STUPID adjustment!!
I will reinstall today and go out to the range. Dumbo me...........No more seeing dbl lines and dot that was also fuzzy. Getting excited over nothing.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

So happy my scope is okay and can see the fine cross hairs and dot so clearly after reticle adjustment. It is nice to be back in the right frame of mind and shot well, which was a 17. I need one more AA score to move up. Confidence is returning.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I am in the same boat. My eyes also change back and forth on diopter setting. About the time I think about tweeking the diopter, they change again. Growing old stinks.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

atomicbrh wrote:I am in the same boat. My eyes also change back and forth on diopter setting. About the time I think about tweeking the diopter, they change again. Growing old stinks.
You gotta be tough to get old.............
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

xpilot wrote:
atomicbrh wrote:I am in the same boat. My eyes also change back and forth on diopter setting. About the time I think about tweeking the diopter, they change again. Growing old stinks.
You gotta be tough to get old.............
It can get interesting, but I'm having too much fun to quit now!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Went for my annual visit to the ophthalmologist today. I must have reached some kind of milestone in my shooting career. The lady at the desk did not even say "Hello" but blurted out, "Where's your rifle?" I guess she has never seen me without it. My ophthalmologist is a frequent USPSA competitor. The good thing is he knows how the Silhouette scopes work and how important the spotting is.
And no I do not normally wear glasses but my "prescription" that I never get filled changed again. Why get it filled when it will change at any time?
Still having tons of fun!
Bobby