Scope Mounting (Can of Worms)

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Scope Mounting (Can of Worms)

Post by High Speed »

I know as in most things, scope mounting is no different. Everyone has their preferred way of going about basically the same thing. If you go by most mounting instructions, to avoid damaging the scope, all should be inline and on the same plane. We have this do dad and that do dad to help you do just this, more of these$$$$. :D As most of us know, in order to get the MOA adjustment we need out of a scope, it has to be mounted on a base or rings, with a certain amount of MOA built in. Question here is, take at set of BKL's for example. In order to get the MOA needed, the rear, or the one closest to the butt, needs to be shimmed. Strips of aluminum from soda cans, thin cardboard, plastic strips from soda bottles. This goes agents all scope mounting instructions. Is the amount needed to get the adjustment, insignificant? Won't damage scope? ~x( A U shaped Leupold 6.5x20 EFR might be a little hard to explain to tec support, also costly. Could I interest anyone in a lightly used scope? :ymdevil: I'm mainly talking smallbore here. Anybody? How much of this, or that? I also know any damages incurred, is the soul responsibly of the owner.
Thanks, Standing By
Stay Safe
Mark
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Scope Mounting (Can of Worms)

Post by topclass »

Interestingly enough, on my 1710 with a Leupold 25x, I did not have to add shims to keep the adjustments in the middle of their range, while on a 1416 I did have to shim the rear mount as you described (I used masking tape folded over itself twice) to avoid running out of adjustment. Why one and not the other? Maybe it had to do with the distance between mounts. I used the same BKL mounts on both rifles. Who knows, but it was only thorough trial and error I found out what I had to do. three thicknesses of masking tape adds about .007", so I am not concerned with banana-ing my scope.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Thank you for the info!
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I like Burris Signature rings with the adjustment rings. You can add several minutes of adjustment without messing around with shims and there's no worries about scope damage.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Hey Jim,
I'm a displace Okie. I come home to see the folks in Edmond when I can. I used to shoot in Acadia, seems like about 200 years ago now. I was looking on the map of clubs that shoot SBS. Is Red Castle the only one in OK shooting SBS, that you know of? If I could find a club relatively close, give me another reason to make the trip.
I have a pair of Burris Signature Rings, wrong size. Figures. Have a pair of the BKLs new in the box. Just trying to save a few bucks. Im also old enough to know, that is usually were the trouble starts. Saved 50 bucks on new mounts, that used to be a really nice scope. Pretty good at looking around corners now.
Thanks
Stay Safe
Mark
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

Red Castle is the only club nearby that I know about. We shoot on the third Saturday of the month at 10AM. Come over and shoot with us sometime. I think there is one in your area too, but I've never been there.

I've been happy with the Burris rings and I recommend them. Others may have different opinions.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Try switching the mounts, front to rear. Doesn't take much, may solve your problem. Signatures with inserts the better idea.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Every set of Weaver factory instructions(for the many T-Series I own) I have suggest shimming the rear scope ring with aluminum shims even specifying the thickness of the common cans and how much they will move point of impact at 100 yards. The higher end scope manufacturers take this rear ring shimming as standard practice. That being said I like plastic shims instead of aluminum cans.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Come on down to Houston, we have a bunch of displaced Okies here.........even one from OU. Of course the best ones are from OSU.

Greg
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

Would love to. Don't care that much for driving, and don't own a plane. 11 hour drive,is a bit much for me. Besides too many people's around their for this old country boy. I like to shoot out back from the carport, because, it's always my turn. :D
Stay safe
Sancho
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sancho »

GregG wrote:Come on down to Houston, we have a bunch of displaced Okies here.........even one from OU. Of course the best ones are from OSU.

Greg
For the record, the one from OU is the best looking.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Sancho wrote:
GregG wrote:Come on down to Houston, we have a bunch of displaced Okies here.........even one from OU. Of course the best ones are from OSU.

Greg

I agree in a dark room with a sack.
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

GregG wrote:
Sancho wrote:

Greg

I agree in a dark room with a sack.
I was getting ready to pack my bags and head that way. :D Thanks Greg, saves me a lot of time and fuel. :cry:
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

What do displaces okies have to do with mounting scopes?

I have had to shim every scope I have mounted on a roifle in the last 20 years. You would think that the ring makers would wake up to the problem some day.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Sadly the only maker that did this was Marvin and he's not wanting to make them any more. The 4 sets I have required nada shim wise for high power or small bore.

Jerry you missed it in Montana when in hunter hp my base screws had vibrated loose (my bad. I never tightened them after the original mounting 2 years earlier) and my scope had floated so that the rear mount was over the loading port. We'll a couple twists and a tap or three and I was back on the line to shoot my best ever hunter score. The tolerances on those rings are amazing. If you can find used ones for sale buy them. If not call me and I will!!!

:ymcowboy:
Res ipsa loquitur