Scope and ring for CZ452

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Binfordtools
B Poster
B Poster

Scope and ring for CZ452

Post by Binfordtools »

Just pick up my CZ452 ,I'm looking at the Weaver T24 OR Bushell ELITE 4200 Which scope and rings ? Thanks for the help Lynn
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have tried both scopes and am currently using a Weaver T24. Both scopes have their good points and bad points. I'll start with the stuff they have in common to make the list of differences shorter.

Both of the scopes in question have easy-to-rezero target turrets that just take a quick unscrew of a center thumbscrew. If you've had to use a tiny little Allen wrench to try to reset your knobs at the beginning of a match and then not had to do that anymore, you know how nice this is. Both scopes also have the smallbore animal distances marked on the objective bells. In my own tests, the markings on both scopes were very accurate, amazingly enough. Both scopes also have very good adjustment systems, with the clicks being very distinct and the adjustments repeating very well. The Weaver has a better reputation for adjustment system, but neither scope has showed any inconsistency through at least a few months of use with each.

For the scopes' differences, they are pretty easy to sum up. While it may seem simple, the one thing that the Elite has over the T24 is the ability to change magnification. If you are just starting out in silhoutte, this might be a big deal to you. When I was making the choice between the two, I was to the point that I left the Elite on 24X all the time anyway so this didn't matter to me. The biggest bad point of the Elite 4200 is that it's seriously heavy, but in not-too-far distant second is its lack of adjustment range. I was very close to the hunter class weight limit and couldn't make it to rams without mounts that had built-in slope using the Elite. The Weaver T24 has very good glass, a better reticle (I like 1/2 minute much better than 1/4 minute), is at least four ounces lighter and comes with an extra set of target knobs and screw-in lens covers. The only bad point that I can think of is fixed magnification. As I said, I didn't need the variable magnification anymore so I didn't care about that. When I compared them side-by-side the Weaver actually magnified just a little more than the Elite on 24X, also. With the reputation the Elite has for great glass, I was amazed that the new Weaver T24 with 1/2 minute dot reticle and 1/4 minute adjustments was at least equal to the Elite when an old fine crosshair and 1/8 minute adjustment T24 that I had was nowhere close.

To make this much too long story short, I like the Weaver T24 much better than the Elite 4200 for my own uses but you are going to have to decide for yourself which is better for your own skill level and preferences. Both are good scopes and are at the top of the heap when it comes to scopes for smallbore silhouette. The price difference probably isn't going to be enough to push you in either direction, so you should let functionality make the decision on that purchase, and that's always the best way to make a decision anyway. :)

As for the rings, I currently use BKL 257H-A (taller version of the 257-A) on my rifle but I used the Burris Signature rimfire rings with the polymer inserts before. The Burris rings allow the use of different inserts to compensate scopes that needs more adjustment range in any direction. They were very heavy, though. I also don't feel they were quite as solid as the BKL rings. The best of the best when it comes to rings are the custom rings made by Marvin Pearson (~$200 last I heard). I'm not even considering those myself until I rebarrel the 1712 with a custom barrel, though, and I think they are serious overskill for someone just getting started in the sport.
Last edited by Jason on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binfordtools
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Binfordtools »

Thanks Jason,This reply help greatly