Scope mounting height

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
JohninNH
B Poster
B Poster

Scope mounting height

Post by JohninNH »

After checking search, I thought I would toss my problem out there. Bought a rifle and need to mount a scope. This is a target set up so am not wanting low and close to barrel but a comfortable height when I have the proper cheek weld. Without buying several diff rings and trying diff heights, is there a method you fellows use to get it right the first time? I can imagine a jig that clamps to the base which you lay your scope on and crank up till you get just the right height, then grab that measurement, but do not have such a thing and doubt they are very common.
As I am anxious, I have just ordered two sets of rings to start the experimentation process.
What is a better way?
Thanks,
John
JNW
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Scope mounting height

Post by JNW »

Look at the technical specs for the scope and rings. These will tell you high the body of the scope is above the bell and how high above the rifle the bottom of the rings are.
Regards,
Jeff
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If you don't have access to a few different heights of rings to try out, you can just use anything as a spacer to tape the scope on with masking tape. I happen to have kids so I used to use Lego blocks and masking tape to determine a comfortable height before I ordered rings. Now that I've accumulated a big box full of rings, I usually try to rummage through those for various heights. Now that I think of it, though, stacking those thin Lego blocks that were 1/8" or so thick up until I hit just the right height was faster. Maybe I need to go.. uhh... "borrow"... a couple stacks so I have them in case the kids get tired of Legos or lose them.. 8)
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

BKL Tecknology rings have nice available specs heights of their 2 ring heights on their website after you have determined approx. height you will need. They also have risers to go with them.

I have a long neck and my 452 American has the BKL .77" tall rings with .67" risers or 1.44" scope height. Measures from top of receiver to bottom of scope. I started with their 1 inch tall rings.

I wish the NRA would raise their spec by another 1/4' for SB and I would have perfect comfort level with better cheek weld too. Been trying for 2 years. Nice suggestion using the lego blocks if you all ready have some rings.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
JohninNH
B Poster
B Poster

Post by JohninNH »

Thank you fellows. Your suggestions have prompted me to get some kids modeling clay and lay in the bottom of the rings to lift the scope. That and rubber bands should do the trick.
John