Leupold reticle help

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
WVGuns
Unclassified Poster

Leupold reticle help

Post by WVGuns »

I couldnt hardly wait to try out my new vx-2 6-18. with the target dot reticle.After a frustrating evening at the range i was convinced the target dot wasnt for me. Whenever i would sight over the target i would constantly loose the crosshairs. After fiddling with adjustments i handed it over to my good friend who was with me and i think he had more trouble than me. My question is has anyone else ever seen this problem before? I have no choice but to send the scope back for a reticle change. Has anyone used the leupold dot? If so they make different size dots correct? I seem to be able to focus better on a dot than cross hairs. I will be using this scope for all sorts of shooting from paper groundhog shoots out to 600 yards to 100 yard target shoots. Your thoughts suggestions........Thanks
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Leupold reticle help

Post by OldRanger »

Which size dot do you have? I have pretty poor vision but I haven't had that problem with the 1/2 moa dot.
Did you focus the crosshairs/dot on a white/light object?

I think they make some massive (1 moa) dots if you need to go up that far. But I would think you will be sending it back for sure to get it changed.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I use the Leupold Dot, the largest one they install is the .0630 (maybe .630) I believe. It is smaller then the old Primier Silhouette dot by a little bit but better than the straight target dot and cross hairs.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
WVGuns
Unclassified Poster

Post by WVGuns »

The target dot like i have is very fine cross hairs and a very small dot. How is the leupold dot do lets say in the woods or against some dark back ground. I noticied the leupold dot cross hairs are tapered as well does that make them hard to see.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Leupold dot reticles come in three sizes, 1/8, 3/8's, and 1/2. Bob and Mary like the 1/2 MOA dot, I like the 3/8s, and some here like the 1/8 so it really is up to you and your eyes. Cross hair reticles are really hard for me to see, so the dot is really comfortable and the Leupold VX2 6-18x40 is about the highest power I can manage.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
WVGuns
Unclassified Poster

Post by WVGuns »

great info guys keep it coming. I love the dots but i wanna make sure i can see the targets groundhogs or whatever im shooting. As i said the target dot with the fine crosshairs is impossible to see.
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

I have three of the Leupold 6-18 Target Scopes. I prefer the duplex cross hair for bench shooting, and a large dot for offhand shooting. I had the factory dot reticle in one scope, didn't like it, and returned it to Leupold for a 1/2 minute dot. I like this size dot, which seems almost the same as my Premeir dots which were a full 1 minute size. Don't know what the numerical size dots are on either type.
WVGuns
Unclassified Poster

Post by WVGuns »

Gabby,what was the factory dot that you are referring too? The target dot?
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

The target dot (1/8") with fine cross-hairs all but disappears when I try to use them for silhouette. They are super fine for a reason/purpose... shooting off a bench/bipod.

If you are going to use the rifle for hunting then go with the 3/8" dot and if you are going to use the rifle for silhouette mostly then you should consider going with the 1/2'' dot. The best way to make this decision is to look through someone's scope that has these dots.
WVGuns
Unclassified Poster

Post by WVGuns »

great advice trent thanks a million