MOA adjustments

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Dakota1
B Poster
B Poster

MOA adjustments

Post by Dakota1 »

How important is 1/8 MOA adjustments vs 1/4 MOA. I understand the difference, but being unfamiliar with sb silhouette, I do not know if this is a big factor in during a competion.

Since I am buying my first silhouette scope, opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Dakota1,

Welcome, with 1/8 you may have to make more than one rotation of the target knob out to the rams. In the hectic pace of a match some people forget to reset there knobs to zero and then pick up the gun and have their settings one or more full rotation off. With 1/4 this is less likely. I have used both and perfer the 1/4 MOA, but then again I like to keep it simple. Many on this forum use the 1/8 and swear by them so the choice is pretty much a personnal thing, me I swear at anything. :lol:
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

With a wobble like mine , a 1/4 moa or 1/8 moa does not make a whole lot of difference when adjusting my sight adjustment. Sometimes it even helps me, If I miss just right the wobble will bring it back to the animal, :lol:

But I agree with the Dawg, keep it as simple as posible. I even have little markers on my scope knob to let me know where to set it.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

papabear wrote:But I agree with the Dawg, keep it as simple as posible. I even have little markers on my scope knob to let me know where to set it.
Now that is a good idea. I have little animals that i stick on the focus ring, so now i will stick little animals on the elevation knob. Now why did i not think of that....LOL
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Quonset Hut
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Quonset Hut »

slowstdy wrote:
papabear wrote:But I agree with the Dawg, keep it as simple as posible. I even have little markers on my scope knob to let me know where to set it.
Now that is a good idea. I have little animals that i stick on the focus ring, so now i will stick little animals on the elevation knob. Now why did i not think of that....LOL
THe guy who got me into the sport would put a drop of different colored model airplane paint on the turret for the normal settings of each animal.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I just write my settings down on my notebook or on a sticker that I stick to the gun somewhere. I've had settings with same rifle and lot of ammo differ with different temperatures/conditions so I am hesitant to stick anything permanent to my scope turret. For instance, I've had to go up 9 1/4 minutes from chickens to rams with Wolf Match Target when it was very cold, but only 8 1/2 minutes when it was hot.
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

As has been said, the primary disadvantage is having to make more than one revolution to go from chickens to rams. This means you should have your settings recorded in a way that you can easily check them- something you should actually do with either MOA click value...

The settings required WILL vary with changes in environmental conditions- as well as with changes in ammunition used. I suspect hose who use a permanent mark are doing that knowing they (1) have a case or two of that lot of ammunition and (2) will ocassionally have to remember that tody they need to be 1 click high or low on the X animal and then 2 or 3 on the y animal etc.

It gets more interesting if you have and use scopes with both click values and adjust for windage in a match using them. Its a lot easier to get 1.5 MOA with 6 clicks than having to count out 12- and its really a problem if you put in the adjustment for the "other" scope.

From the above it sounds like I prefer the 1/4 MOA- and I do- but not enough to consider not using a Bushnell 4200 8X32 as one of my scopes...